Blog Post #2 – Cultural Differences & Task Analysis

In undergrad, I was able to take a course on childhood development across cultures. What I learned from the course and the literature we read was how simultaneously cultures could be so vastly different and the same at doing the same things. A large take-away was how, while we tend to think of how we personally perform tasks as the best, this is often not the case. Cultures may differ in how they perform similar actions, as simple as driving or eating, or as complex as how we operate our governments and educational systems. However, they all serve a general purpose to enhance our quality of life.

Grossman et. al. studies explored cognitive differences among eastern and western cultures and the various factors that could lead to these differences, such as genetics and linguistics as well as societal structure. I think it would be interesting to explore task analyses of every day routine, like driving and eating, across cultures. Maybe we could learn ways to enhance the methodologies we have so deeply embedded into our own society into more dynamic and efficient ones.

1 thought on “Blog Post #2 – Cultural Differences & Task Analysis

1. Your post made me think of how the colors red and green mean different things in different cultures, but I never thought of how everyday tasks, like the ones you mentioned, would differ across cultures. It would be interesting to see how automation varies across these cultures through this task analysis. Which culture do you think utilizes the most automation?