No Comment!

If you have a blog, you already know about the amazing blog-spamming industry. The Admissions blog has a really good spam blocker, so the spam doesn’t eat up much of my time. Every few days, I just hit delete and away they go. But before I delete, I often have a laugh at the collection of comments. Lined up together, they’re funny! And true blog readers rarely comment (hint, hint), so it isn’t like I frequently have a chance to review relevant content. Today, with summer admissions news still slow, I thought I’d share some of my favorite spam comments.

First, there are the comments that arrive in series, including this one by the fictional (I assume) James Kryten.

Hi! I am thoroughly impressed with your knowledge of Chinese New Year. Your insights into this article about Chinese New Year was well worth the time to read it. Signed James Kryten on this Day Monday.

I don’t remember writing about Chinese New Year but, well, whatever. James is a devoted, if somewhat baffling reader, who also commented on Negotiation/this Day Thursday, Basketball/this day Friday, and New York Post/this Day Saturday. This week I had a message from Megan (this day Monday) who liked my post on Environment. Perhaps there’s a community of people out there who use archaic phrase construction like “this day Monday.”

Then there were the Holy messages that came in daily for a few weeks, such as:

Hey!…Man i just love your blog, keep the cool posts about Summer Reading List comin.. Holy Thursday.

On another theme, there are spammer/readers who find the admissions blog confusing, or useful for reasons other than what I had might have expected, such as these:

I read similar article also named Distractions, and it was completely different. Personally, I agree with you more, because this article makes a little bit more sense for me.

Howdy Guru, what made you want to write on Film Festival? I was wondering, because I have been thinking about this since last Friday.

Found your blog on yahoo – thanks for the article but i still don’t get it.

Hmm, interesting, but I’m not sure if I can agree with you 100%.

I don’t mean to be too in your face, but I’m not sure I agree with this. Anyhow, thanks for sharing and I think I’ll come to this blog more often.

And my real favorites, the mysterious greetings or philosophies of unknown writers:

Zipper is a popular device for temporarily joining two edges of fabric.

Congratulations on a wicked blog about search. More power to your elbow.

Emptying my spam folder will continue to be a brief source of amusement. I look forward to more substantive comments, too! I encourage you to send questions or to suggest admissions topics that could use clarification or elucidation. And may I say: More power to your elbow!