Christine’s staff intros: What We’re Watching

Second only to a good book, summer is the perfect season to catch up on films you were too busy to see over the winter or to revisit those classics you have loved for years, and yes, of course, to see the newest, biggest, most explosive blockbuster that Hollywood can produce.  Almost as eclectic as our reading choices are Admissions staff viewing choices.  From the silver screen to the TV screen, we have everything covered!

Jessica: I LOVE going to the movies, but this has been a low movie summer for me.  Instead of describing one of my film choices, I’m going to describe my theater choice.  While on Cape Cod, we’ll go to the Wellfleet Drive-In, which is a gem of a place.  If you’re on the Cape in the summer, be sure to plan a visit.  Honestly, it doesn’t matter what movie they’re showing (and they lean toward big action pictures), because the theater itself provides more than enough entertainment.

Laurie: I have not been to the movies in months!  I know, I need to get out more!  However, I recently started the Lost TV series again, now that my daughter is old enough to watch it.  I loved it the first time and it’s equally entertaining the second time around.  Now that I know the ending, it is really cool to pick up on all of the foreshadowing. 

Katherine: Frances Ha was all right, and I want to re-watch Before Sunrise and Before Sunset before I see perhaps one of the most universally acclaimed recent films, Before Midnight.  But I haven’t had time.  Who has time to stay in and watch movies during the summer in Boston?

Kristen: Honestly, not a one so far, but I’m ending a several-year run of going through all of MI-5 and want to catch up on the last season of Mad Men.

Christine: I’ll admit it — I have a limited attention span when it comes to movies.  It has to be REALLY worth going to for me to sit through two hours in a cramped theatre. Luckily for me, the good folks at Showcase SuperLux solved this issue!  Only 30 minutes from Medford in Chestnut Hill is my dream viewing experience.  Leather recliners, a waiter, cold drinks, and free popcorn?  Oh yes.  So one less-than-perfect-weather Sunday, I ventured to Chestnut Hill to see the latest Hollywood goof movie — This Is The EndAnd it was hilarious!

I also plan on viewing the movie adaptations to Dennis Lehane’s Mystic River and Gone, Baby, Gone and cannot wait to see how well the film versions stack up the books.

Dan: As a fan of Guillermo del Toro, I dragged my wife to see Pacific Rim the other night (for which I will pay in the future by treating her to some screamy horrorfest, her favorite type of movie).  I think the New York Times’ characterization of it as “exuberant nonsense” is as appropriate a two-word review as I can imagine.