Articles, an update, an honor, and a president

Informative notes on a variety of topics have flowed into my inbox lately.  I’m going to combine them all in this pre-Thanksgiving catch-up blog.

Articles

PhD candidate David Knoll let me know that he and fellow PhD student Matt Herbert just published a two-part series on Somali piracy for the World Peace FoundationPart 1 and Part 2.

Newly selected Al Nakhlah editors (and first-year MALD students) Alex Taylor and Jack Berger interviewed Rami Khouri, Director of the Issam Fares Institute for Public Policy and International Affairs at the American University of Beirut.  He discusses the emergence of a new conception of citizenship in the Arab world.

There was a nice online article recognizing the entrepreneurial energy at Tufts.

An Update

Fletcher alum and contributing Admissions Blogger Manjula Dissanayake sent me an update this morning.  Both Manjula and Educate Lanka have had great success this year!

An Honor

Current MALD student Kat Trujillo was just selected by the U.S.-Ireland Alliance for the 2015 class of George J. Mitchell Scholars.  Congratulations to Kat!

A President

In October, a Fletcher alum, Mulatu Teshome, was selected as the President of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia.

Finally, unrelated to any of the above, a note from me:  I have received some good suggestions for blogs for the coming months, but I’m open to more!  Please be sure to complete the survey and send me your ideas.