October 27 Update

October 27This morning’s weather was cool and crisp.  We’ve had some cooler days and some warmer days lately, but today truly felt like autumn.  Around here, it’s not uncommon to have trees that are still green and trees that are nearly bare side-by-side, as in this photo from my walk up to campus.  Looking at our schedules, the Admissions staff is also in autumn mode.  Though several travelers are now back in the office, several of us are on the road or soon will be.

What’s happening today?  Prospective MIB students are visiting, keeping us all busy as they come and go from the office.  In our new online application review system, I can see that nearly 1000 people have started applications.  A small percentage of those are for January enrollment, and we are busy reviewing them, getting to know this small group that will be with us very soon.  We need to finish reading the applications in time to allow the new incoming students to prepare to join us, and also in time to start on the Early Notification applications that will be ready for us on November 15.

Meanwhile, we’re selecting students to sit on the Admissions Committees for the MALD/MA and the MIB degrees.  The selected students don’t yet know they’ll be offered slots on the Committees, and yet we’re counting on them to attend the first orientation meeting on November 7 — less than two weeks from now.

One of my other current tasks is working with new student bloggers.  I’m regretting that I’ve let so much of the semester slip by, but I do have three returning bloggers and three new ones, and their posts will start appearing soon.