Last week, I had the pleasure of participating in Greater Boston’s HUBweek – a festival that brings together the most creative and inventive minds making an impact in art, science, and technology.  I was joined by several of my Fletcher colleagues, along with Malcolm Gladwell, John Kerry, Atul Gawande, and many other inspiring influencers from a wide range of fields.

Many of the events, including my talk, took place at the HUB on Boston’s City Hall Plaza. If the organizers were aiming to create a space that could serve as a futuristic “carnival of ideas,” they nailed it.

During my talk, I posited that 20th century security failed because we tried to build walls. I then explored the state of security in the 21st-century and offered suggestions for using dialogue and collaboration — between nations, and between public and private sectors — to improve the future of security.

Fletcher’s presence spanned a range of topics. In addition to my presentation (which you can see from the photo above was delivered in quite the unique venue, a green-tinted dome), Professor Bobbi Kates-Garnick offered her expertise on an environmental panel titled “Driving 2050,” which aimed to balance the transportation needs of the future with our desire for a cleaner environment over the next 30+ years.

Bhaskar Chakravorti, Senior Associate Dean, posed the question of whether we trust our digital economy in his presentation on the state of the digital infrastructure, and whether it can keep our personal or business data secure against cyber-attacks – something I’ve written about extensively, if you’ve been following my blog.

Outside of the HUB, we were thrilled to partner with our colleagues at the School of the Museum of Fine Arts at Tufts University to present a panel on their campus, “Fact/Fiction: Driving Truth into Policy Debates.” This event featured Fletcher professors Edward Schumacher-Matos and Michael Klein, both founders of Econofact, the online publication dedicated to bringing facts and analysis to the national debate on economics and social policies, as well as experts on social media, economics, and local journalists. You can watch the panel here.

You can find more details on Fletcher’s involvement at HUBweek here.

As always, thanks for reading.

Tagged with: