These red lentil zucchini fritters hit DIFFERENT.
1 cup red lentils
1/2 medium onion
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/8 tsp curry powder
1 cup fresh parsley, chopped OR 1/2 cup dried parsley
1 tbsp lemon zest
3/4 tsp salt
1 cup neutral oil (or peanut oil or ghee)
How to make:
- Prep 1 hour beforehand: soak lentils in 2 cups room temperature water for an hour.
- Prep 30 minutes beforehand: Cut zucchini into matchsticks (first chop into three pieces crosswise, then chop each of those pieces lengthwise until about 1/4” thick). Thinly slice onion. Place onion and zucchini into a colander, and place over a large bowl. Toss vegetables with 1 tsp salt and let sit for 30 minutes, or until about 1-2 tbsp of water has come out.
- Drain lentils. In a blender, add lentils, cayenne, turmeric, curry powder, parsley, lemon zest and salt, and blend until smooth (doesn’t need to be perfectly smooth, and if you need to, add a squeeze or two of lemon to thin out the batter.
- Mix lentil paste and vegetables until combined and looking orange.
- Heat 1c oil or ghee in a pan until hot enough that a piece of batter dropped in the oil will sputter and bubble.
- Scoop out 1/4 c of the batter and place in the hot oil. Press down to get a nice fritter shape.
- Fry for about 3 minutes on each side or until a deep golden brown. Take out of the oil and immediately season with a little bit of salt (use flaky salt/sea salt if you have it and want to be fancy, but we just used kosher salt).
- Serve with yogurt and lemon and enjoy!