Mail address: 503 Boston Avenue, Bromfield-Pearson, Room 201, Medford, MA 02155, US.
Email: alexandru (dot) hening (at) tufts (dot) edu
I am an Assistant Professor in the Department of Mathematics at Tufts University. Previously I was a Chapman Fellow at Imperial College London and a postdoctoral researcher at Oxford University. I received my Ph.D. in May 2013 from UC Berkeley. My advisor was Steve Evans. My research is in part supported by the National Science Foundation under the grant DMS 1853463.
- stochastic processes in discrete and continuous time, random dynamical systems, ODE, PDE, and their applications to mathematical biology.
- mathematical ecology: coexistence theory, population dynamics, spatial ecology, evolutionary processes, nonstationary community theory.
- optimal control, stochastic control, and their applications to harvesting problems.
- numerical analysis: approximations of invariant probability measures, approximations of stochastic processes.
- long-term behavior of Markov processes and dynamical systems: stationary distributions, quasistationary distributions, ergodic properties.
- Optimal harvesting of a species affected by two types of environmental fluctuations, with Ky Tran and Sergiu Ungureanu, preprint, 2020.
- A general theory of coexistence and extinction for stochastic ecological communities, with Peter Chesson and Dang H. Nguyen, submitted, 2020.
- Stationary distributions of persistent ecological systems, with Yao Li, submitted, 2020.
- A classification of the dynamics of three-dimensional stochastic ecological systems, with Dang H. Nguyen and Sebastian J. Schreiber, submitted, 2020.
- Coevolution of patch selection in stochastic environments, with Dang H. Nguyen and Sebastian J. Schreiber, preprint, 2020.
- Dynamical systems with fast switching and slow diffusion: hyperbolic equilibria and stable limit cycles, with Dang H. Nguyen, Nguyen H. Du and George Yin, submitted, 2019.
- Coexistence, extinction, and optimal harvesting in discrete-time stochastic population models, submitted, 2019.
- Harvesting and seeding of stochastic populations: analysis and numerical approximation, with Ky Tran, Journal of Mathematical Biology, Vol. 81, 65-112, 2020.
- The Inverse First Passage Time Problem for killed Brownian motion, with Boris Ettinger and Tak Kwong Wong, Annals of Applied Probability, Vol. 30, No.3, 1251-1275, 2020.
- The competitive exclusion principle in stochastic environments, with Dang H. Nguyen, Journal of Mathematical Biology, Vol. 80, 1323-1351, 2020.
- Markov processes conditioned on their location at large exponential times, with Steven N. Evans, Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Vol. 129, Issue 5, 2019, 1622-1658.
- Quasistationary distributions for one-dimensional diffusions with two singular boundary points, with Martin Kolb, Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Vol. 129, Issue 5, 1659-1696, 2019.
- Optimal sustainable harvesting of populations in random environments, with Luis H. R. Alvarez E., Stochastic Processes and their Applications (to appear), 2019.
- Harvesting of interacting stochastic populations, with Ky Tran, Tien Phan, and George Yin, Journal of Mathematical Biology, Vol. 79, Issue 2, 533-570, 2019.
- Asymptotic harvesting of populations in fluctuating environments, with Dang H. Nguyen, Sergiu C. Ungureanu and Tak Kwong Wong, Journal of Mathematical Biology, Vol. 78, Issue 1–2, 293–329, 2019.
- On a predator-prey system with random switching that never converges to its equilibrium, with Edouard Strickler, SIAM Journal on Mathematical Analysis, Vol. 51, Issue 5, 3625-3640, 2019.
- Persistence in stochastic Lotka-Volterra food chains with intraspecific competition, with Dang H. Nguyen, Bulletin of Mathematical Biology, Vol. 80, Issue 10, 2527–2560, 2018.
- Coexistence and extinction for stochastic Kolmogorov systems, with Dang H. Nguyen, Annals of Applied Probability, Vol. 28, No. 3, 1893-1942, 2018.
- Stochastic Lotka-Volterra food chains, with Dang H. Nguyen, Journal of Mathematical Biology, Vol. 77, Issue 1, 135-163, 2018.
- Stochastic population growth in spatially heterogeneous environments: The density-dependent case, with Dang H. Nguyen and George Yin, Journal of Mathematical Biology, Vol. 76, Issue 3, 697–754, 2018.
- The free path in a high velocity random flight process associated to a Lorentz gas in an external field, with Douglas Rizzolo and Eric S. Wayman, Transactions of the American Mathematical Society, Series B 3 (2016), 27-62.
- Transient one-dimensional diffusions conditioned to converge to a different limit point, Statistics and Probability Letters, 110, 62-73, 2016.
- When do skew-products exist?, with Steven N. Evans and Eric S. Wayman, Electronic Communications in Probability, 20, no. 54, 1-14, 2015.
- Protected polymorphisms and evolutionary stability of patch-selection strategies in stochastic environments, with Steven N. Evans and Sebastian J. Schreiber, Journal of Mathematical Biology, 71, Issue 2, 325-359, 2015.
- Killed Brownian motion with a prescribed lifetime distribution and models of default, with Boris Ettinger and Steven N. Evans, Annals of Applied Probability, 24, 1-33, 2014.
- Non-existence of Markovian time dynamics for graphical models of correlated default, with Steven N. Evans, Queueing Systems, December 2011, Vol. 69, Issue 3-4, 293-312, 2011.
- A stochastic Lotka-Volterra system with killing, with Martin Kolb, preprint, 2014.