Based on the feedback from our first usability assessment, we created a new design. We’re keeping the best parts of the original design (the storage shelves, desk space, and multi-functionality) and changing the worst parts (the too manual and heavy lifting process for transitioning between desk states).
At first we thought about using a pump shaft, like one of these:
You know, like you see at a hair salon? But instead of applying it to a chair, the user would pump up the desk.
We consulted with the wise and experienced lab managers at Bray Laboratory, and they thought the idea was cool but suggested a simpler mechanism: telescoping shafts!
Not only is this a simpler solution, but also it’s cheaper (we used the free PVC pipes in the Bray supply closet)!
With both an idea and supplies, we set to work on our second prototype!
This prototype is less refined than our first prototype, but it’s closer to actual size and it works.
We brought it to the SEC for our second round of usability testing!
For this usability assessment, we asked 8 participants of various heights to indicate at what height they would prefer their standing desk to be, and we marked this height (along with the height of the participant) on the telescoping pipes.
Next, we intend to combine this user data with anthropometric data online to determine where to drill holes in the telescoping pipes so the user can raise and lower the desk to the right heights for both sitting and standing. And that’ll be our less manual, less heavy, and hopefully more stable sit-stand solution!