Resumes will be accepted for this position on an ongoing basis. Selected candidates will be contacted as positions become available.
Visitor Assistants act as the primary point of security for the artwork and the visitors. The primary responsibility of a Visitor Assistant is the safety of the artwork and the enforcement of museum policies. A Visitor Assistant is responsible for monitoring the gallery spaces and protecting the art while engaging with the public to answer questions and provide information about the exhibits and the ICA. A Visitor Assistant greets visitors as they enter the galleries and ensures that all guests have proper museum access.
Please note that this work will require standing for long periods of time, adherence to dress code and museum policies, and working some evening, weekend and holiday hours.
Responsibilities of a Visitor Services Gallery Assistant:
1. Welcomes and monitors visitors to ensure that all guests who enter the galleries have either purchased an admission ticket or are identified as staff or special guest;
2. Monitors large numbers in museum areas to provide a smooth flow of visitation, while keeping the safety of the artwork the main priority, and enforces museum policies
3. Responds to questions from the public and promotes programs when applicable, enforces museum policies.
4. Serves as an advocate for the visitor while promoting the safety of the museum; communicates consistently with visitors to ensure a positive museum experience.
5. Assists in maintaining the inventory of museum brochures and literature, monitors the gallery space and reports on any incidents or issues
6. Perform other duties as directed by management
Visitor Services Assistants will work a set schedule during weekdays, weekends and Thursday and Friday evenings, as well as some holiday hours.
Experience working in a fast paced environment
Ability to work evenings, weekends and holidays
Experience with or knowledge of contemporary visual art
Experience in a security related position
Customer service experience
Solid interpersonal and communication skills
Friendly and outgoing, able to conduct oneself in a polite and professional manner in a variety of situations.
Ability to assert oneself when needed in order to enforce policies and protect artwork.
Ability to use good judgment and to respond in handling crowds and waiting lines; remain calm and present a professional demeanor
Interested candidates should send a letter of interest and a current resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
May 01, 2015
$10 an Hour
The Institute of Contemporary Art has been at the leading edge of art in Boston for seventy years. Like its iconic building on Boston’s waterfront, the ICA offers new ways of engaging with the world around us. Our exhibitions and programs provide access to contemporary art, artists, and the creative process, inviting audiences of all ages and backgrounds to participate in the excitement of new art and ideas.
The ICA is an equal opportunity employer. We are located at 100 Northern Avenue, Boston and accessible by public transportation (Red Line and Silver Line).