The Oklahoma City Museum of Art, located in the center of a vibrant and expanding urban culture, seeks a visionary, innovative, and experienced curator of prints, drawings, and photographs. The curator will contribute to all aspects of division operations including: care, display, interpretation, promotion, and publication of the permanent collection; developing a strategy for the reinstallation and rotation of the permanent collection, developing future exhibitions, educating the general public and Museum constituents through lectures, in-gallery talks and docent training; assisting the development team through grant writing, and building the collection through the cultivation of collectors and donors. The individual must posses a collaborative and playful team spirit with the ability to work well in a fast-paced and cohesive environment. The individual must have an established network of contacts in the field. This is a full-time, exempt, professional staff position that reports directly to the President and CEO.
Participates in all aspects of the division including the care, conservation, display, interpretation, promotion, and publication of the permanent collection. Develops strategies for gallery reinstallation and collection rotation.
Organizes and oversees innovative exhibitions, shares in the at-large curatorial projects, and participates in the design and reinstallation of galleries.
Education and Interpretation
In collaboration with the curatorial and education staff, develops didactic material for the permanent collection and special exhibitions and educates the general public and Museum constituents through lectures and in-gallery talks.
Provides scholarly research on the collection, as well as publishing independent scholarly articles in their fields of study. Contributes to cataloguing, the Museum website and the quarterly member’s magazine, Connect.
Education and Experience
- PhD in art history preferred with background and substantial research and knowledge of American art and/or contemporary art.
- Minimum two years of previous experience in a curatorial capacity developing and managing exhibitions, gallery rotations, and supervising interns and curatorial assistants.
- Must have excellent credentials and be recognized in the field of American art, contemporary art, or photography.
- Foreign language skills preferred.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications, prior experience with TMS database preferred.
- Experience working with and supervising students and volunteers.
- Ability to work with the Museum’s President and CEO, development officers, and grant writers to cultivate donors and generate funding.
- Experience in managing budgets.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced museum environment.
Application Deadline: Screening of candidates will begin April 11, 2015 and will continue until the position is filled. A complete application will consist of a cover letter, resume, three references, salary requirements, and writing samples. Send applications via email to: Matt Tipton, Human Resources, Oklahoma City Museum of Art, email@example.com
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Anticipated start date: August 2015.
The Oklahoma City Museum of Art is located in the heart of the Downtown Arts District. The Museum organizes and hosts exhibitions that explore both contemporary and historical art, including film, video and new media art, prints, and photographs. The Museum is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums and is a member of the Association of Art Museum Directors. For more information, visit www.okcmoa.com.
APPLY FOR THIS JOB
|Contact Person:||Matt Tipton|