The San Diego Museum of Man is in a process of reinvention. We aim to be San Diego’s place to learn about each other, reflect on our place in the world and build a better community. Our mission is to inspire human connection by exploring the human experience and we are seeking an experienced program developer who will set our short- and long-term vision for comprehensive social betterment-oriented programming.
The Director of Education and Public Engagement will create, implement, and maintain “proFUNd” programs that support 21st century skills acquisition, global citizenship and reflect SDMoM’s mission. S/he will serve on the collaborative exhibit development team and act as lead for some exhibits, immersive media-based experiences and other signature experiences. Incumbent will serve as a lead visionary for museum experiences that move, empower, surprise, delight, amaze, inspire and welcome visitors. S/he will determine roles for three F/T education and programs staff and lead departmental planning.
Commitment to a team approach is a must. A clear perspective is required. If you like being around hard-working, welcoming, appreciative, idealists with no shortage of opinions, please apply. This is a diva/o-free zone.
- Graduate degree in related field preferred
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in development, implementation, and evaluation of programs or experiences that aim to inspire positive social engagement, action on behalf of others and consideration of one’s place in the world
- Minimum 5 years’ experience managing complex projects involving coordination among multiple departments.
- Experience with collaborative/team project development process.
- Experience developing digital technology-based projects.
- Knowledge of informal learning theory and practice, visitor studies or evaluation theory and practice, and applications of technology in museums preferred
- Demonstrated experience working collaboratively with a diverse range of groups and organizations
- Demonstrated ability to manage and coordinate a team
- Strong ability to be creative and think critically
- Self-starter with strong organizational skills
- Ability to multitask and meet deadlines in a fast-paced working environment
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills; and ability to work in team environment.
- Proven ability to communicate complex ideas with a wide range of people.
- Excellent writing skills
- Experience managing budgets, contracts and working within tight deadlines.
- Available to work some evenings and weekends as necessary.
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, and project management software (preferred).