The Butterfly Garden Interpreter is primarily concerned with providing a high quality visitor experience through maintaining and practicing high professional standards for visitor services, informal science interpretation and care of the Museum’s living collection. She/he greets visitors and engages them in subjects of plant and butterfly biology through interpretations and answering questions. The Butterfly Garden Interpreter monitors visitor activity to ensure plants and butterflies are not touched or removed from the Garden. He/She also ensures all USDA containment procedures are followed. The Butterfly Garden Interpreter assists in the training of volunteers and may on occasion supervise the operation of the garden in the absence of the Curators.
- Assists in greeting and monitoring approximately 10,000 guests per month.
- Assists in providing informal and formal educational presentations for up to 800 guests per day.
- Assists in the maintenance of a 3000 sg. ft. free flight butterfly exhibit.
- Assists in the care of the plant and animal collection, including 350 butterflies.
- Must be available to work on holidays, school vacations and weekends as the Butterfly Garden is a 365 days a year operation.
This position is part-time, 12 hours/week, with two separate shifts available:
- Friday, 9pm – 5pm
- Saturday, 11am – 5pm
- Sunday, 11am – 5pm
- Monday, 11am – 5pm
Manager, Living Collections
- Less than one (1) year or more of informal Science Education, natural history interpretation or care of animal or plants in a zoo, aquarium, museum, or nature center experience.
- Demonstrated public speaking ability, both one on one or with small groups of visitors.
- Demonstrated ability to work in busy environments and working in warm, humid environments.
- Knowledge of plants, insects and other biology and natural history topics.
- Demonstrated knowledge of working with Butterflies and other insects in a free flight setting.
Non-Exempt (Hourly). Commensurate with experience.
Free parking in the Museum garage, T accessibility, free Exhibit Halls admission and Omni/Planetarium shows, free Duck Tours, discounts in the Museum store and cafe, discounted movie passes, retirement & savings plan.
The Museum of Science is fully committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and to attracting, retaining, developing and promoting the most qualified employees without regard to their race, gender, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship status, veteran status, or any other characteristic prohibited by federal, state or local law. We are dedicated to providing a work environment free from discrimination and harassment, and where employees are treated with respect and dignity.
No phone inquiries, please. Qualified applicants will be contacted within two to four weeks of initial application.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.
see job description
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.https://mos.applicantpro.com/jobs/202812-29461.html
May 10, 2015