The Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum is seeking an Education Associate for the Education Department. The Education Associate, Learning Through Art, coordinates selected school-based artists residencies, and participates more generally in the management of the Learning Through Art program. The Education Associate also participates in the Education Department activities as necessary and relevant.
The Learning Through Art program (LTA) places practicing teaching artists in New York City public school classrooms, where they collaborate with teachers to create process-oriented art projects that examine ideas and themes related to the school curriculum. In these 20-week residencies, teaching artists introduce art techniques and concepts and encourage students to view, analyze, and discuss works of art.
Founded in 1937, the Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is dedicated to promoting the understanding and appreciation of art, architecture, and other manifestations of visual culture, primarily of the modern and contemporary periods. The Guggenheim realizes this mission through exceptional exhibitions, education programs, research initiatives, and publications. The Guggenheim strives to engage and educate an increasingly diverse international audience through its unique network of museums and partnerships. With nearly three million annual visitors worldwide, the Guggenheim and its network is one of the most visited cultural institutions in the world.
The position oversees selected Learning Through Art Teaching Artists and the LTA volunteers.
– Supervise selected teaching artists in 20-week residencies at NYC elementary schools.
– Observe, evaluate, and provide pedagogical oversight and support for the LTA program at each site.
– Communicate with teachers and administrators.
– Lead gallery tours for students and teachers.
– Work with LTA team on all areas of the program, including professional development for participating teachers and teaching artists and the annual exhibition A Year with Children.
– Manage LTA Volunteer program including recruiting volunteers, check-in meetings, and providing feedback
– Manage family outreach initiatives for LTA schools including a large scale family day in the spring
– Manage LTA social media presence on Facebook
– Participate in Education department staff meetings and retreats, and take on department-related tasks and projects as needed.
Qualifications and Requirements:
– A Masters degree in art/museum education, fine arts, arts administration, or a related field
– A minimum of 3 years of experience in the field
– Excellent organizational, communication, and writing skills
– Supervisory and/or program coordination experience
– Teaching experience
– Knowledge of art history and art education
– Knowledge of Microsoft Office
– Familiarity with Adobe Photoshop and Adobe InDesign
The Guggenheim offers a competitive salary and excellent medical, dental, life, disability, and retirement plan coverage. Our staff also enjoys generous vacation, sick leave and personal days, access to a variety of cultural institutions, discounts to museum stores, and a stimulating and collegial work environment.
Qualified applicants please send your resume and cover letter, including salary expectations, firstname.lastname@example.org. Indicate the job title “Education Associate, Learning Through Art” in the subject line.
The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.