The Bascom – A Center for Visual Arts
Located at 323 Franklin Road, Highlands, NC
Serving the communities of Highlands and Cashiers, NC
Begun in 1985 as an exhibition space in the Hudson Library in Highlands, The Bascom now occupies a six acre, six building campus.
The Executive Director (ED) is responsible to and works with an active Board of Directors to oversee all facets of The Bascom including:Finances
- Development (grants, membership, sponsorship, and capital campaigns)
- Human Resources
- Programs (exhibition, education, outreach, events)
- Property (buildings and grounds)
The ED manages14 full time employees, 2 part time employees, and contract employees for education, development, exhibitions, marketing, and maintenance. The Bascom has enjoyed a reputation for presenting sophisticated exhibitions and offering art opportunities for all the community and is considered a community treasure. A $2MM annual budget is funded by individual and corporate donations, memberships, event rentals, grants, and fundraising events. Working with the Board, the ED is charged with continuing to increase regional and national awareness through exhibits and programs, bringing vision and leadership to the staff, increasing existing revenue streams, creating new revenue streams, and instituting successful marketing, PR, and fundraising programs to support and enhance the overall programming of The Bascom.
To be rewarded with both recognition and compensation for taking an exciting arts organization into a mature, sustainable, well funded entity that is known as a vibrant arts organization on a regional and national level.
The Bascom seeks a mission-driven executive with strong relationship building, management, and leadership skills. The ED will have a track record of progressive leadership experience and a passion for the visual arts. The ED will be a goal-oriented, accomplished leader who is passionate and committed to the Bascom’s mission and values. The ED serves as the primary spokesperson for The Bascom in interactions with donors, partners, and other institutions and community leaders.
The successful candidate will bring all or a unique blend of the following:
- Passion for The Bascom and its mission.
- Knowledge of the visual arts and art organizations.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with all levels of people
- Demonstrated ability to lead and develop a dynamic high functioning team.
- Demonstrated ability to operate a complex organization.
- Demonstrated ability to create, implement and monitor complex plans, and translate those plans into goals and strategies to achieve mission and vision.
- Ability to work successfully with Board members and other volunteers as well as civic and business leaders in a collaborative and relationship-building capacity.
- Business and financial acumen, verified through past contributions to the programmatic and fiscal stability of organizations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. ?A Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree desired. ?A track record of successful experience in leadership and management.
APPLY FOR THIS JOB
|Contact Person:||Martha Eskew||Phone:||404-874-1003|