Horticulture – Position Application Number: H-1554
BASIC JOB FUNCTION
The Interpretive Specialist oversees project management and execution for portions of the interpretive program including signage for special exhibitions and permanent collections, audio tours, mobile experiences, and other interpretive projects as needed. S/He assists in coordinating long-term interpretive planning.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Identify interpretive needs for special exhibits and permanent collection with the Curator of Interpretive Content for Public Engagement and other members of the Horticulture staff.
• Manage aspects of interpretive development including writing, editing, routing for credits and approval, design, production, and installation.
• Research content for interpretation and write interpretive text as needed. Along with the Curator of Interpretive Content for Public Engagement, identify appropriate staff or consultants to write interpretation and manage process to ensure timely delivery.
• Oversee maintenance and distribution of audio tours. Oversee development process for tours along with the Curator of Interpretive Content for Public Engagement.
• Review, maintain, conduct inventory and update all existing interpretive content as needed including audio tours, signage, collateral, and any other modes of interpretation that might exist. Ensure that all materials are in compliance with the requirements set forth by the American Disabilities Act.
• Track and evaluate usage of interpretive tools and develop reports.
• College Degree, preferably with a concentration in a science, art, or museum related field.
• Demonstrated ability in developing, implementing, and managing interpretation for exhibits, preferably at an informal science or cultural organization.
• Strong organizational and planning skills.
• Must have strong communication and writing skills.