Boston Children’s Museum seeks a talented advancement professional to serve as Vice President of Development and to lead and grow an ambitious fundraising and community engagement program. The Vice President of Development (VP) will partner with visionary staff and volunteer leadership, building on the Museum’s solid foundation, and craft and implement a comprehensive development plan that will enable the Museum to fully meet its cultural and educational mission.
Philanthropy plays an increasingly vital role in the Museum’s ability to serve children, families and the broader community. The Vice President of Development will build a foundation of enduring philanthropic support for BCM’s vision to “Create the Children’s Museum of the 21st century.”
About the Opportunity
Reporting to the President/CEO, the Vice President of Development’s primary focus will be to align development strategy with BCM’s vision for the future. The VP serves as chief strategist for fundraising, and will be charged with increasing philanthropic and membership revenue for the Museum for ongoing and innovative programming and community outreach.
The VP oversees a team of five, and will manage all facets of a fully integrated advancement program including annual giving, events, membership, corporate and foundation giving and leadership giving from individuals. The VP will also have a personal portfolio of top donors and prospects, and will be expected to solicit and close major gifts. The VP will also oversee the CEO/President, board members and BCM staff in additional solicitations. Additionally, she/he will oversee the trustee and overseer activities in identifying, building, and cultivating relationships from their own networks and the museum’s constituents.
The Vice President for Development will:
- Plan and execute a moves management approach to individual giving to increase major and planned gifts.
- Work closely with the President/CEO to design, plan and execute a strategy to increase support from members of the board of directors, overseers, key contributors and other critical benefactors in the community to broaden the base of support for the Museum.
- Work with staff members, the board of directors and overseers to proactively enhance, expand, and execute the development effort, building current and new relationships.
- Manage and expand the capacity of the current development team of five.
- Manage the development department budgets, including Museum membership, ensuring that both income and expenses goals are met.
- Supervise the appropriate use of donor software and reporting, ensuring donor privacy, data accuracy and timeliness of acknowledgements and reporting.
- Establish development policies, systems, and procedures, with a special emphasis on professionalism and ethical standards for soliciting, acknowledging, tracking and reporting gifts.
- Develop solicitations/support materials with the intent to attract new gifts and upgrade gifts from existing donors.
- Foster a culture of continuous improvement and utilization of fundraising best practices and internal and external customer service.
For more information on Boston Children’s Museum please visit: www.bostonchildrensmuseum.org
On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BostonChildrensMuseum
- Appreciation of the Museum’s mission and ability to be an effective spokesperson
- Ability to serve as a trusted partner to visionary leadership and senior management
- 10+ years of development leadership & experience in a mid-sized or larger non-profit organization
- Major gift solicitation experience, having secured major donations (6 to 7 figures)
- Proven success in fund-raising from individuals including prospect identification, cultivation, and stewardship
- Experience developing and executing multi-year gift strategies from individuals, corporations, foundations and events
- Experience leading a team focused on the support necessary for successful fund-raising
- Master’s degree preferred
How To Apply:
Please email your cover letter and resume in confidence to:
Tracy Marshall, Vice President for Executive Search Services
For more information on Development Guild/DDI please visit: www.developmentguild.com
June 15, 2015
Commensurate with experience
About this Organization:
Boston Children’s Museum engages children and families in joyful discovery experiences that instill an appreciation of our world, develop foundational skills, and spark a lifelong love of learning.