Gallery 263, a non-profit art gallery located in Cambridgeport, is seeking a Summer 2015 intern (June through August; extensions into the Fall may be possible).
Gallery 263 is devoted to local and regional emerging artists of all media. With a combination of juried shows, curatorial proposals, school shows, an artist residency opportunity, and an artist membership program, the art at 263 is always changing. Additionally, we have a thriving music program and full special events calendar.
We are seeking an intern who is self-motivated, responsible, flexible, and professional, who has a passion for the arts and is interested in helping with a wide variety of projects at a growing community organization.
Help to inform artists of the opportunities we offer, document our Artist Residency, gain experience organizing and preparing exhibitions, help manage events, and assist us with photo, data and document organization. Practice your WordPress skills and help us to update our website with new media! Meet with our staff each week off-site during the Residency (June/July), and sit gallery hours at least one day per week (12-7, W-Sat) during the Juried Exhibition (July/August) as well as our Fall 2015 Curatorial Proposal Exhibitions (September/October & October/November). (Flexible end date post-Aug. 30th.) Act as the welcoming face to visitors to our space, and answer questions about our organization and exhibitions.
This position is open to undergraduate and graduate students in the fields of Art Education, Arts Administration, Studio Art, and Art History. Recent graduates and other qualified applicants with experience in the arts or in non-profit work will also be considered. While internships at Gallery 263 are unpaid, course credit is available for current students. Typically, interns are expected to commit to 10-15 hours per week for 10-20 weeks; other arrangements may be possible to fulfill required credit hours or accommodate different schedules.
- Excellent organizational skills with great attention to detail
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with graphic design programs (Photoshop, InDesign) highly desirable, as well as photography skills and ownership of a digital camera
- Interest and/or experience in basic web design via WordPress, as well as with social media
- Ability to work independently and display good judgment
- Creativity and a sense of humor
- Interest in fundraising as well as music/special event assistance
- A flexible schedule, including some evening and weekend availability
Responsibilities may include:
- Soliciting local businesses for raffle contributions towards our Winter Fundraiser
- Publicizing calls for art using social media, e-mail, and web postings
- Posting flyers
- Running music shows, including: greeting musicians, preparing the gallery, collecting admission donations
- Assisting staff with special events
- Documenting events and our Artist Residency program through photography and video, editing and sharing images on Google Drive, organizing files from past exhibitions
- Using WordPress to add new content to our website
- Gallery maintenance and upkeep
- Assisting the Program Director with exhibition organization and installation
How To Apply:
Please send a resume and cover letter as pdf attachments via e-mail to our Managing Director, Alexandra Photopoulos: firstname.lastname@example.org
May 17, 2015
unpaid; course credit available
About this Organization:
Gallery 263 is a nonprofit art gallery in Cambridge, MA that provides a place for local and regional artists to exhibit their work and engage the larger community. In addition to presenting exhibitions, Gallery 263 is a multi-functional art space, providing opportunities for the public to participate in the creative process through music performances, theater, workshops, artist talks, juried show competitions, an artist membership program and yoga classes. Gallery 263 was founded in 2008 and incorporated as an nonprofit organization in 2010.