The National Museum of Health and Medicine inspires interest and promotes understanding of medicine with a special emphasis on American military medicine, A MUSEUM SPECIALIST who will participate in the collection of important and unique resources in support of innovative exhibits, educational programs, and research is sought for this National Historic Landmark. The museum specialist may prepare historical artifacts for storage and use; apply appropriate preventative conservation techniques; handle artifacts; compile, organize and preserve records; catalog Historical Collection objects onto a computerized database; perform technical research services; develop policy guidelines; and participate in museum exhibits.
Bachelor’s degree in museum studies, history or related field plus 1-2 years of relevant museum or collections management experience sought. Master’s degree or medical experience preferred. Additional qualification details may be found athttp://www.mogerinternational.com/experts/nmhm-museum-specialist/. Qualified applicants should send cover letter and resume toMuseum@mogerinternational.com by Thursday, May 7, 2015.
- Possess, at a minimum, a Bachelor’s degree in museum studies, history, or related field. Master’s degree or medical experience preferred.
- 1-2 years relevant museum or collections management experience, professional knowledge of standard museum practices, packing and transportation of museum artifacts and fine arts, care, handling, and storage of museum objects, and relative environmental and security requirements.
- Management experience desirable.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, demonstrated knowledge and use of KE EMu software (or other collections database) and strong computer skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint applications.
- Requires ability to work in confined collections storage areas, ability to climb ladders and use basic materials handling equipment such as dollies, pallet jacks, flatbed carts, hand drills, etc.
- Ability to lift supplies or museum objects weighing 30-40 pounds.
This MoGer International position is supported by a Federal Government contract; thus employment is subject to the availability of funding. The current option period under the contract ends July 31, 2015; therefore, continued employment beyond that date is subject to available funding and the option to continue support services under the contract.
APPLY FOR THIS JOB