As Chicago’s oldest cultural institution, the Chicago History Museum is the proud custodian of over 23 million objects ranging from presidential artifacts to 1960’s couture. We use our collection to powerfully tell Chicago’s stories. We invite qualified candidates to apply for the full time position of Senior Collection Manager.
The Senior Collection Manager manages and coordinates all aspects of collection management for the museum collection including supervising Collection Management staff; supervises and participates in the processing, inventory, and housing of the museum collection to facilitate preservation and access; ensures the museum collections are handled, preserved, stored, and exhibited in a safe and prudent manner according to professional and institutional standards; plans and implements large-scale collection moves and storage upgrades; supervises the monitoring and maintenance of all collections storage areas, work rooms, and galleries; develops and implements changes and improvements to internal processes; and sustains and enhances CHM’s role as a premier research institution and a hub of scholarship and learning.
For more information, please see full job posting at http://chicagohistory.org/aboutus/jobsvolunteering/jobopportunities.
Qualifications for the Senior Collection Manager position include:
- M.A. in a humanities field
- Minimum three years’ experience in collection management and/or registration; supervisory experience preferred
- Experience managing a wide range of artifacts
- Demonstrated in-depth knowledge of standard collection management, documentation, and preservation policies, practices, and procedures
- Experience cataloging museum collections according to established standards
- Knowledge of relevant technologies, including experience working with a collection management system
- Demonstrated experience with relevant technologies, including literacy in commonly used computer applications, database experience, and excellent keyboarding skills
- Ability to lift, carry or otherwise move and position objects weighing up to 40 pounds, ascend and descend ladders and lifts, and drive a car
- Current driver’s license
- Ability to plan and implement new programs
- Ability to develop and follow workflows to meet production, management, quality control, and procedural requirements in an efficient and effective manner
- Ability to solve technical, administrative, and procedural problems creatively
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to balance multiple tasks, responsibilities, and demands for time
- Willingness to work occasional evenings and/or weekends