C&G Partners, an established New York City multi-specialty design studio, seeks a senior-level content developer for museum exhibit design projects. We are looking for a highly organized self-starter, able to communicate persuasively with clients, designers, technical artisans, scholars, curators, and others to help deliver multiple high-quality exhibit design projects on time and on budget. Our studio is unique: we undertake projects for culture and commerce that involve multiple in-house design specialists at the same time, from media designers, to architects, graphic designers, writers and more. The successful candidate will be an important and equal part of the design team, and will collaborate with multidisciplinary designers on multiple projects.
Provide overall leadership and direction for content development process, executing content development tasks and best practices at various stages in project cycles, from preliminary planning through final design and implementation. These efforts will be in conjunction with internal content and project teams, as well as external stakeholders, including the Senior Content Developers management of project scholars and experts. These tasks include, but are not limited to:
Management of Content Development Process
- Develop and oversee content research plans tailored to individual project(s): includes schedule, scope, budget and resource impacts
- Brainstorm new content and storyline ideas with teams and develop existing content, including selection of artifacts and tracking of conservation/display requirements
- Build and oversee complex charts tracking types of content, responsibilities, progress, and problems
- Actively schedule and facilitate meetings by phone and in person with prominent scholars, curators, practitioners, and others
- Lead cross-disciplinary communication to other internal teams and establish finding aids and content tools for internal use
- Lead efforts to synthesize research results for deliverables to—e.g. content outlines, matrices, and storylines
- Establish and monitor scriptwriting standards based on research and project requirements
- Lead the development of presentation and milestone deliverables to facilitate client’s review and approval of content, interfacing with client and client representatives as needed
- Participate in (and travel for) client meetings regarding project milestones and issues.
- Report to project supervisor any substantive communication, especially contract related issues.
- Supervise work and progress of junior content developers to achieve project goals, delegating as necessary
- Manage image researcher and image acquisition process, monitoring intellectual property ramifications of design and content decisions
- Manage artifact researcher and artifact acquisition/loan process
Management of Content Advisors
- Oversee and optimize the cohort of scholars and experts who are engaged to be resources for content development
- Coordinate outreach and communications to new, existing, and prospective advisors, including all scheduling matters
- Manage vetting/onboarding/orientation process for new advisors, all contracts and ongoing invoicing, and track engagement/relationship-building
- Coordinate and review submittals from academic and expert consultants and integrate into overall content management process
Excellent verbal and written communication skills are key to successfully collaborate with our teams and communicate with clients. Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in history, museum studies, or another subject relevant to the research and interpretation of historical content for presentation in a museum environment. Applicants must possess a minimum of 3-5 years of experience. 5-10 years a strong plus.
Competence in Microsoft Office word processing and spreadsheet programs on a Macintosh platform. Demonstrated ability to conduct in-depth research; to develop summaries and reports of research conducted; and to synthesize results of that research. Use of material culture and imagery to inform interpretation in museum exhibits. Excellence in writing. Presentation and communication ability. Planning and organizational ability and aptitude.
Unique “Multi-Specialty” Requirement if Possible:
Each person in our studio is ideally multi-specialty themselves. Applicants will ideally state demonstrable specialty abilities in at least two relevant disciplines of design consulting. (For example, project management and content development, or design and content development.) Combinations of more than two are welcome.
Compensation commensurate with salary history.
Please provide resume, portfolio link or portfolio PDF (if applicable) and 3 professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org “Senior Content Developer” in the subject. Email replies only please.
APPLY FOR THIS JOB