Employment Opportunity Edmonton Space & Science Foundation
Vice President, Science
TELUS World of Science – Edmonton inspires life-long learning as we create a positive science and technology culture in our region. We motivate people to learn about and contribute to advances in science and technology, to strengthen themselves, their families and their community. TELUS World of Science – Edmonton is operated by the Edmonton Space and Science Foundation.
TELUS World of Science –Edmonton is looking for a Vice President, Science who is a strong leader with a passion for science with exceptional interpersonal and communication skills. This individual will have a reputation for building, inspiring and leading collaborative Science teams and have a proven ability to lead the operational excellence and science experience through their initiative and innovation. This individual will play an integral role to develop, implement, monitor and evaluate the science experience at TELUS World of Science – Edmonton to align with the organizations mission and values. The Vice President, Science is a member of the Senior Management team and reports directly to the President & CEO, and liaisons with the Board of Directors. This position requires highly developed skills in program and exhibit development, strategic planning, human resource management, budgeting and team building.
- Leads the development, implementation, and management of strategic and operational plans, in keeping with the mission of the organization, to provide innovative, programs that maximize use of the TWOSE facilities and meets the needs of the formal education systems, general public, and communities served.
- Lead the development, implementation, and management of short and long range exhibit plans in keeping with the mission, vision values and desired outcomes of the organization that provide motivation and inspiration for students, teachers and the general public to visit the TWOSE frequently.
- Provides leadership and leads the Science Team in creating science experiences that reach all audiences, generate revenue, and make best use of the extensive Science Centre facilities.
- Liaise with the broad science community, particularly the research community in Edmonton
- Leads the development, implementation, and management of short and long range exhibit plans, in keeping with the Mission, Vision, Values, and Desired Outcomes of the organization, that provide motivation and inspiration for students, teachers, and the general public to visit TWOSE frequently.
- Provide leadership necessary to ensure a strong customer focussed culture throughout the organization.
- Develop strong community partnerships, enhance the Science Centre program and exhibit offerings to students, teachers, and the general public.
- Participate with the Senior Management team in providing overall leadership to the organization and development of organizational goals and objectives.
- Ensure the organization has the appropriate policies/procedures in place related to Science and Exhibit areas.
- Provide the necessary information/reports to support the activities of Senior Management and the Board of Directors.
- Provide leadership and interaction with all staff (paid and volunteer) to develop and maintain the science experience and build an effective team environment.
- Identify the resources required, both financial and non-financial, to achieve the organization’s Science experience, goals and objectives.
- Develop, lead, manage and evaluate senior science staff
- Lead the development and overall management of the Science Department’s annual and multi-year budgets.
- Attend related meetings and conventions as opportunities to represent the Science Centre to maintain, promote, and improve the quality of Science Experience and efficiency of operations of TWOSE.
- Thorough knowledge of science exhibits and programs
- Excellent leadership skills for teams and projects
- Strategic and operational planning skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong capacity for initiative and innovation
- Thorough awareness of the science centre community
A leadership position in a science centre, museum or similar institution; including practical experience in exhibit and education program development, science communication, team leadership and project management.
Education Science degree; preferably a graduate degree plus 8 – 10 years’ experience in Program and Exhibit Development and /or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Opening date: April 30, 2015
Closing Date: May 31, 2015
Apply with salary expectation to
TELUS World of Science – Edmonton
11211 142 Street NW, Edmonton, AB T5M 4A1
Attention: Human Resources
or via email: email@example.com
- We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
APPLY FOR THIS JOB
|Contact Person:||Brianne Gagnon||Phone:||780-452-9100 Ext. 2287|