Position Title: Greenhouse Assistant
Department: Gardens and Grounds
Reports to: Greenhouse Supervisor
Type of Position: Full-time, hourly/non-exempt
Location: Hingham and Boston
Schedule: Will require work on weekends and some holidays
Summary of Position
The Greenhouse Assistant will be responsible for greenhouse, gardening, and grounds-keeping activities as directed by the Greenhouse Supervisor.
• General maintenance of Museum’s living collection including trimming, potting, fertilizing and watering
• Transporting plants in and out of Museum greenhouse and courtyard
• Transporting plants to and from greenhouses in Hingham and Boston
• Courtyard maintenance
• General research on new cultural methods and horticultural techniques
• Upkeep and maintenance of the greenhouses and greenhouse work areas
• Application of organic pesticides and fertilizers
• Responsible for recording greenhouse activities and IPM records
• May be called upon to assist with educational groups and/or tours
• Other duties as directed by the Greenhouse Supervisor and Chief Horticulturist
This position requires work at our museum in Boston, along with traveling to our off-site greenhouses in Hingham. It is required that all greenhouse employees have access to reliable personal transportation to be able to fulfill this travel requirement.
• 1-2 years experience performing greenhouse/gardening tasks
• Familiarity with greenhouse operations and use of organic pesticides
• Able to work independently and take initiative
• Ability to use judgment in interpreting and following written and verbal instructions on assigned jobs
• Physically able to assist one other person in moving plants and supplies up to 100 lbs.
• Ability to handle physical requirements that include moving hoses, standing for long periods, and working in hot conditions.
• Valid driver’s license and good driving record; comfortable driving large van
Join our dedicated, talented team of employees, interns and volunteers, who are passionate about the work they do to support the Museum’s mission. To apply for this position, please use the Museum’s online application system, this is our preferred application method: https://isgm.applicantpro.com/jobs/186975.html.Both a cover letter and resume are required.
The Gardner Museum is committed to affording equal opportunities to qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disabilities, marital status or sexual orientation. Candidates of color are strongly encouraged to apply. The Museum is proud to embrace the goals of Commonwealth Compact (http://www.umb.edu/commonwealth_compact/about) and pledges to measure its progress toward those goals over time, using the Commonwealth Compact benchmarks.
We receive many resumes and kindly request that you do not call to inquire about the status of your application. Those candidates chosen for interviews will be contacted.
June 30, 2015