Effective Date: May 2015 for training, school program shifts beginning mid-May 2015 and continuing throughout June 2015 with a possibility of ongoing on-call shifts. Programs generally run weekday mornings and early afternoons.
Salary Level: School Programs: Hourly, starting at $10/hr.
Status: Temporary on call position with option to apply for summer employment.
The EcoTarium, a Museum of Science & Nature, seeks School Program Instructors to deliver and facilitate interpretive programs for school groups. School Program Instructors will work independently and in teams to deliver hands-on interactive programs for groups of all ages, on subjects including astronomy, ecology, and other earth, physical and life science topics. Instructors will present engaging content in the planetarium, in a classroom, or on the museum floor and grounds. Instructors independently manage smaller groups during field-based explorations of the museum’s ponds, meadows, and trails. School Program Instructors also help with group and teacher orientation. Applicants must have a background in education or science, and enjoy working with children. Strong classroom management skills and a customer service orientated attitude are expected. Experience with inquiry approaches to teaching and public presentation experience is helpful.
- Background in biology, physical science, education or related fields
- Demonstrated experience in formal and/or informal teaching
- Previous experience with inquiry based, experiential learning desirable
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and leadership skills
- Comfort with performance and/or public speaking, a flair for public presentation
- Interest in and/or experience working with diverse racial/socioeconomic populations
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Must be flexible and highly dependable
- Be in good physical condition to meet the physical demands of the position. Ability to move program equipment/supplies up to 40 lbs and navigate trails under any weather conditions. Walking, standing, highly sensory and stimulating work environment due to constant interaction with guests.
- Valid driver’s license and/or personal transportation needed
- Pass CORI background checks according to EcoTarium’s guidelines
- Multi-lingual skills a plus
- Set-up and lead school programs with indoor and outdoor components and covering a variety of science topics, including but not limited to environmental science, animal behavior, astronomy, and physical science
- Utilize hands-on participatory teaching methods
- Prepare for and actively participate in staff training and meetings
- Do independent background research on program topics
- Handle animals for use in programs
- Provide an exceptional visitor experience through formal and informal contact
- Conduct programming outdoors in any type of weather
- Uniform/dress code required
- Other duties as may be assigned
How To Apply:
Please send cover letter, resume and list of three references to: Human Resources, Attn: Program Instructor Search, EcoTarium, 222 Harrington Way, Worcester, MA 01604 or
e-mail to: email@example.com with “School Program Instructor Search” in the subject line.
Application Review — Immediately
June 01, 2015
About this Organization:
The EcoTarium is a not-for-profit museum dedicated to inspiring a passion for science and nature in all of its visitors. Set upon 55 scenic acres just two miles from downtown Worcester, Massachusetts, the EcoTarium features interactive exhibits and programming, interpretive nature trails, wildlife habitats, a planetarium, the region’s only tree canopy walkway and a narrow-gauge railroad.