Ohio History Connection (formerly Ohio Historical Society) seeks a Director of American Indian Relations to foster and maintain a trusted and collaborative relationship between the institution and the Federally recognized American Indian tribes with historic ties to Ohio. Working in partnership with individual departments and staff members, as well as with tribal leaders, this director will facilitate dialogue built upon partnership and respect to promote knowledge and understanding of the role of American Indians in Ohio history. Additionally, this leader will serve as a point of contact regarding collaborative activities to provide resources, knowledge and education to the museum staff, sites and the tribes related to their history and heritage in Ohio.
The Director of American Indian Relations will report directly to Burt Logan, the Executive Director and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Ohio History Connection.
- Serve as the liaison and primary point of contact for the federally recognized tribes associated with Ohio History Connection, staff and constituents of the museum for all issues related to American Indian relations.
- Develop a clear strategy for creating and maintaining a positive relationship with those tribes who have a historic tie to Ohio.
- Become a subject-matter-expert on the cultures and histories of the tribes associated with Ohio History Connection.
- Strengthen trust and relationships between the Ohio History Connection and tribal leaders.
- Interact with individual members of each of the tribes to learn their stories and perspectives, gaining better understanding of the artifacts and historic locations managed by Ohio History Connection and ensuring appropriate management and representation.
- Provide resources and information for tribes to connect with their Ohio heritage.
- Encourage engagement of tribal historians, leaders, and cultural and spiritual representatives to visit and interact with collections and storytelling.
- Convey to tribal leaders the importance and purpose of Ohio History Connection in educating and preserving American Indian History.
- Provide introductions among tribal members and Ohio History Connection or other partner site managers.
- Leverage tribal knowledge to provide historically accurate and tribally meaningful interpretations of artifacts and sites.
- Provide clear and accurate information about associated tribes to ensure clear messaging to visitors of Ohio History Connection sites.
- Advocate for the importance of American Indian collections and sites maintained by the Ohio History Connection.
- Be apprised of all initiatives within the organization pertaining to the histories of the tribes associated with the Ohio History Connection. Consult with museum staff to ensure appropriate representation of associated tribes in exhibits, programs, partnerships, publications, retail and more.
- Advise State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) in matters related to American Indian historic preservation.
- Act as an advisor to museum staff on all issues related to associated tribes and their portrayal in museums and historic sites, including events and museum store offerings.
- Create protocol and policies for interpreters, educators, retailers and exhibit designers for representing associated tribes.
Key Qualifications, Competencies and Attributes
- Bachelor’s degree in history, anthropology, public administration or related subject; Master’s degree preferred
- Knowledge of the Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act (NAGPRA)
- Knowledge of and demonstrated experience with diverse American Indian tribal protocols, customs, traditions, cultures and governmental relations
- Political acumen and ability to communicate with diverse constituents
- Willingness to travel (25% national, 35% regional)
- Ability to establish meaningful one-on-one and group relationships
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically
- Strong facilitation skills
- Exceptional listening and communication skills
- Formal training and demonstrated skill in the application of conflict resolution and negotiation techniques and principles
- Able to build meaningful relationships, at the appropriate pace, and possess evidence of a strong degree of empathy
APPLY FOR THIS JOB
|Contact Person:||Andrea Dixon||Phone:||614-939-4240|