The Museum Program Assistant serves as an informed and friendly ambassador for President Lincoln’s Cottage and the National Trust for Historic Preservation, providing general visitor services including admissions, membership and retail sales, leading tours and school programs, and assisting with events.
- Interpret the site’s stories, themes, place, and artifacts through interactive experiential tours that encourage visitors to better understand and appreciate the site within historical and contemporary contexts.
- Engage visitors in active observation, discussion and synthesis during guided tours, utilizing multi-media resources as appropriate.
- Respond to different groups of visitors (adults, school children, families) by varying tour content and techniques as appropriate.
- Convey the mission of President Lincoln’s Cottage and the National Trust for Historic Preservation, including announcing current initiatives and upcoming programs and events.
- Convey the meaning and benefits of Team Lincoln, the Cottage’s new membership program.
- Provide exceptional customer service to all site guests and interact positively and professionally with site colleagues.
- Assist in monitoring collections security (buildings, objects, grounds) and visitor safety, responding calmly and professionally to emergencies and promptly notifying supervisor of incidents or unsafe conditions.
- Assist with visitor services and operations, including shop retail, ticketing and site admissions functions as required, visitor orientation, answering phones, and opening and closing shop in accordance with daily procedures established by site and the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
- Re-stock shop merchandise each day, as needed, helping to maintain an orderly and attractive store and an organized stockroom by keeping merchandise filled and neatly displayed, including dusting and cleaning space as needed.
- Assist with managing inventory and receiving, unpacking and ticketing of merchandise.
- Assist with order fulfillment and packing of orders for shipment.
- Attend all required quarterly meetings and scheduled training sessions and contribute insights drawn from tour experiences and visitor response. Participate actively in training programs and other opportunities in order to expand site knowledge and strengthen customer service, interpretive, retail, and development skills.
- Some experience in public speaking, presenting educational or promotional information to the public, and retail or other customer service role. Experience working in a museum, educational, historical or cultural setting a plus.
- Basic math and cash handling skills required. Experience with point of sale retail systems, registers and ticketing systems a plus.
- Knowledge of and enthusiasm for history, architecture or other cultural topics related to the site preferred.
- Effective and engaging presentation skills. Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with ability to speak and read English fluently. Bi-lingual fluency (in English and Spanish or other language) a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to engage effectively with culturally diverse audiences, and audiences of varying age.
- Basic problem solving skills, including issue identification and prioritization.
- Ability to adapt and be flexible in a dynamic work environment
- Ability to continually develop skills related to use of rapidly changing technology and communications best practices.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and skill set a plus
- Ability to work weekends, holidays, evenings.
- Ability to work a minimum of 48 hours per month
- Ability to work outdoors in varying weather conditions.
- Minimum physical requirements include but are not limited to: Ability to stand for periods up to 60 minutes; walk over uneven terrain; climb stairs; lift and carry loads of up to 50 pounds on a frequent basis and occasionally more
- BA or equivalent work experience required; studies in history, museum studies, museum education, architecture or other topics related to specific site programs preferred.
Please submit cover letter and resume to: 255039-CSemail@example.com.
APPLY FOR THIS JOB
|Contact Person:||Human Resources|