Volunteer Resource Coordinator – Northeast
About The Organization:
The Trustees is an organization with a fascinating past and an exciting future. Our places are open to all and we thrive by involving as many people as possible in what we do. Founded in 1891, by a group of visionary volunteers, we preserve, for public use and enjoyment, properties of exceptional scenic, historic, and ecological value in Massachusetts and work to protect special places across the state. We have helped protect more than 50,000 acres, including 26,000+ acres on more than 100 reservations that are all open to the public. We are a nonprofit conservation organization funded and supported entirely by our visitors, supporters, volunteers, and more than 40,000 members.
Here at The Trustees, our volunteers are our mission in action. Getting people engaged in the land and culture of Massachusetts is one of the biggest keys to achieving our goals. We want people of all ages and backgrounds to get involved with our extraordinary places, be inspired by them, and love them as much as we do. Our volunteers typically serve over 37,000 hours annually in a variety of positions, from Cheese Ambassadors at the Boston Public Market to Garden Docents at Naumkeag to Trail Stewards at Copicut Woods.
The Volunteer Resources Coordinator (VRC) assists in the delivery of volunteer engagement within The Trustees programs and activities. This includes directly managing volunteers, and/or providing guidance, support, resources and tools to staff that supervise or manage volunteers within Trustees’ Northeast Regions. The Northeast Region includes the Crane Estate, Appleton Farms, the Old Manse, Charles River Valley, and Chestnut Hill Farm.
- Develop and implement goals and objectives for the volunteer programs/activities which reflect the mission of the Trustees
- Assess the need for volunteers to enhance program/service delivery within the designated Trustees region
- Develop a budget for regional volunteer program activities
- Conduct ongoing evaluation of the programs and services delivered by volunteers and implement improvements as necessary
- Develop, administer, and review policies and procedures which guide the volunteer programs and activities and reflect the overall values of the Trustees
- Develop and administer forms and records to document the volunteer activities within the designated The Trustees region
- Identify volunteer assignments that provide meaningful work for volunteers and write the volunteer position descriptions in consultation with designated regional staff as appropriate
- Promote the volunteer programs and activities within the designated The Trustees region to gain community support and involvement
- Develop and implement effective strategies to recruit the right volunteers with the right skills
- Develop and implement an intake and interview protocol for potential volunteers to ensure the best match between the skills, qualification, and interests of the volunteers and the needs of the designated region
- Implement a screening process for potential volunteers according to accepted screening standards and practices as set forth by the Trustees statewide Volunteer Manager
- Other duties as assigned with or without accommodation
- College Degree in a related field such as, social sciences, human resources, community development, or adult education is an asset
- 3-5 years experience coordinating or managing non-profit programs
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve and think strategically
- Database management (specifically HandsOn Connect, a Salesforce product)
- Innovative thinker who can seek solutions in and out of the box.
- High level of Microsoft Office proficiency
- Effective communication skills, both written and verbal
- Charismatic people person with strong relationship building attributes
- Valid driver’s license required for driving the Trustees vehicles.
- Criminal Background check required.
- Position requires travel across the northeast; access to a personal vehicle required.
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends.
APPLY NOW – Volunteer Resource Coordinator
The Trustees offers a competitive salary and benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision insurance, life and disability insurance, flexible spending accounts, vacation, sick and personal time, as well as the option to participate in our 401(k) and 529 savings plans. We also offer the opportunity to be part of a dedicated team across the Commonwealth who love the outdoors, who love the distinctive charms of New England, and who believe in celebrating and protecting our special places, for everyone, forever.
No phone calls please.
In addition to being an Equal Opportunity Employer, The Trustees of Reservations aim to create a thriving, inclusive workplace that values each member of our team. We aspire to reflect and effectively serve the residents and communities of Massachusetts who are at the core of our mission.
January 28, 2016