The Bay Area Discovery Museum will prototype the world’s first Fab Lab specifically for early childhood, a model to be scaled and replicated internationally. A Fab Lab is a modern workshop or makerspace which includes computer-based innovation, design, and fabrication and intentionally builds STEM skills through hands-on learning. Originally designed by MIT as an outreach project to promote local entrepreneurship, Fab Labs now comprise a rapidly expanding, global network. The model has increasingly been adopted by middle and high schools for hands-on STEM education, but has yet to be adapted for early childhood.
The Digital Fabrication Technician will assist in all aspects of the daily operation and use of the Bay Area Discovery Museum’s Fab Lab. Duties will include ordering and maintaining equipment and supplies, developing and implementing programming, safely operating machines, and providing technical support. This is a part-time, hourly non-exempt position reporting to the Art and Digital Design Assistant Manager. The schedule is flexible and includes regular weekend days.
- Assists in all aspects of the daily operation and use of the Bay Area Discovery Museum’s Fab Lab.
- Maintains Fab Lab equipment including but not limited to laser cutters, 3D printers and vinyl cutters.
- Utilizes design software to create computer drawings using software including but not limited to Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and AutoCAD.
- Provides technical support for Fab Lab hardware and software.
- Operates machines during events and programming as needed.
- Prints material for programs and events.
- Orders and organizes supplies for programming and production.
- Researches other Fab Labs and conducts program ideation.
- Prototypes early childhood program ideas both digital and analog.
- Develops and implements demonstration program to train staff in operating machines.
- Ensures safe use of machines amongst staff and visitors.
- Supports Fab Lab team in setting up for programs.
- Assembles new equipment as needed.
- Provides excellent customer service while maintaining a safe, friendly, and orderly environment.
- Maintains standards for inter-departmental communication.
- Other duties and projects as assigned by the Art and Digital Design Assistant Manager.
- Proficiency in digital design software Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and CAD required. Familiarity with Rhino preferred.
- Working knowledge of fabrication equipment such as a laser cutter, vinyl cutter, Handibot, and 3D printer.
- Architecture, design, engineering or related field experience preferred.
- Basic computer programming and coding knowledge.
- Interest in prototyping and making.
- Strong interpersonal skills, teaching experience, and customer service are strongly preferred.
- Ability to take initiative, work independently, and troubleshoot in a face paced work environment.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Bilingual in Spanish or Cantonese preferred.
- Sausalito, California, 94965, United States
- January 7, 2016
- Digital Fabrication Technician
- Bay Area Discovery Museum