The Santa Barbara Museum of Art seeks a curator with expertise in photography, video, and the technological arts. With a collection of the arts of Asia, Europe, and the Americas spanning 5,000 years of human history, a nationally-recognized exhibitions program, and outstanding educational and outreach activities, the Santa Barbara Museum of Art is one of the leading art museums on the West Coast. In recent years, the Museum has launched a very ambitious, international program of scholarly exhibitions and conferences, and many highly creative educational initiatives.
The qualified candidate will have demonstrated intellectual leadership through exhibitions organized and scholarly publications. He/she will be expected to install thoughtful collection presentations, originate and implement important temporary exhibitions, and produce publications and other educational materials for local, national, and international audiences. A record of successful leadership and collaboration with photographers and other artists, curatorial colleagues, academic scholars, educators, designers, conservators, and other museum professionals is essential. Candidates should also have established a strong international network of professional colleagues, collectors, and art dealers. Effective public-speaking skills are required, as well as the desire and ability to advise and encourage private collectors in the community.
Reporting to the Museum’s Director, the Curator of Photography and New Media will be responsible for collection development, presentation and management, original research, interpretation, and fiscal accountability for projects. The curator will support the Museum in its fundraising from individuals, foundations, and corporate sponsors, and will oversee the curatorial support group PhotoFutures.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Competitive benefits package provided, including paid time off/paid holidays with eligibility for medical/dental/vision/cafeteria and retirement plan participation.
- Successful Background Check is required.
- Please provide resume, cover letter, and application with the names of three references to: firstname.lastname@example.org (email preferred)
- Applications can be located on our Career page under About at www.sbma.net.
Santa Barbara Museum of Art
1130 State Street
Santa Barbara, CA 93101
Fax: (805) 966-6840
The Santa Barbara Museum of Art is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Santa Barbara, California, 93101, United States
- January 8, 2016
- Curator of Photography and New Media
- Santa Barbara Museum of Art
- 5-7 Years