MoMA PS1 is one of the oldest and largest non-profit contemporary art institutions in the United States; an exhibition space rather than a collecting museum, it serves as a catalyst and an advocate for new ideas, discourses, and trends in contemporary art.
MoMA PS1 is seeking a Director of Exhibitions to support the Curator and Associate Director of Exhibitions and Programs in a highly creative and fast-paced environment. The successful candidate will be a multi-talented, collaborative and organized individual with a proven record of exhibition management and a solid knowledge of Contemporary Art as well as the Contemporary Art community, locally, nationally and internationally. Reporting to the Curator and Associate Director and managing both internal and contracted project staff, the Director of Exhibitions ensures that exhibitions fulfill the organization’s mission and are executed at the highest level of professional conduct and practice. The Director oversees an exhibitions calendar that features 4-8 major exhibitions per year plus a number of smaller exhibitions, as well as the operations and management of an ambitious live program. The Director of Exhibitions works in close collaboration with the senior management of the museum.
- At least 5-7 years relevant experience managing complex exhibition programs or similar, including financial analysis, insurance, strategic planning and budgets.
- Post-graduate degree from an accredited college or university in art, art history, museum administration, museum studies, or a related field.
- Experience with fine arts insurance, and knowledge of standard museum loan and registration practices.
- Experience with art handling, transportation, and knowledge of best practices.
- Management of skilled staff.
- High degree of organizational skill and ability to handle multiple projects in various stages of development; demonstrated ability to proactively prioritize and manage time, juggle multiple duties and tasks, and meet deadlines.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, effective and professional and professional negotiating skills, strong interpersonal skills, effective and professional negotiating skills, discretion and diplomacy.
- Proficient with Excel spreadsheets, museum databases systems, bookkeeping and accounting procedures.
- Demonstrated initiative and administrative ability as required to work and understand the goals of a small curatorial staff and program support staff in formulating and implementing an ambitious program of temporary exhibitions and events.
- Sufficient flexibility in management style and approach to understand and subtly adjust to complex, highly skilled staff both in the curatorial and support departments.
- Ability to maintain a professional and positive attitude in a dynamic and creative setting.
- Exceptional judgment, professionalism, and discretion in handling confidential and sensitive situations and matters.
Please be advised that due to the high volume of applicants, we are only able to contact those candidates whose skills and background best fit the needs of the open positions. Thank you for your interest in employment opportunities at MoMA PS1.
MoMA PS1 is an equal opportunity employer and considers all candidates for employment regardless of race, color, sex, age, national origin, creed, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or political affiliation.
- Long Island City, United States, 11101, United States
- January 7, 2016
- Director of Exhibitions
- MoMA PS1
- Master’s Degree
- 5-7 Years