Executive Director, Boone County Historical Society
The Board of Directors of the Boone County Historical Society (BCHS) seeks qualified candidates to be the museums’ next Executive Director. The BCHS is comprised of four museums throughout the County located one hour northwest of the State’s capital city Des Moines. The museums include the Historical Center, the Mamie Doud Eisenhower Birthplace Museum, the Kate Shelley Railroad Depot and Trail, and Hickory Grove Rural School in conjunction with the Battin Chapel Association. The Society has been in existence for 50 years and focuses on preserving and interpreting the fascinating history of Boone County. For more information about the BCHS, please visit www.boonecountyhistory.org.
The executive director reports to the BCHS Board of Directors and manages one part-time staff and 80-90 volunteers with the assistance of a volunteer coordinator. The executive director leads the staff and volunteers, and works with the Board of Directors to fulfill the BCHS’ vision and mission, ensuring that the sites are both historically and financially sustainable. There is no paid overtime and duties of this position may require work to be performed outside of normal work hours which may include evenings and weekends.
The executive director is responsible for all aspects of operations, preservation, programming, development, finances, marketing and communications for BCHS. Details in each area follow:
Operations, Preservation and Programming
- Conceive, implement and oversee:
- Public programs, including daily and school tours, educational programs and special events.
- Earned income activities such as on-site gift shop and building rentals.
- Maintenance and preservation of the museums’ buildings, landscape and collections.
- Research and interpretation of buildings and collections, including writing and archival research.
- Manage, motivate, cultivate, and guide the staff and volunteers.
- Director will attend all Executive Committee and Board of Director meetings and assist with preparing agendas and other supplementary items.
- Performs additional responsibilities and projects as needed or assigned by the Board.
- Engage vigorously and effectively in fundraising and development including:
- Cultivating individual donors, including members, annual appeal and board giving
- Corporate and business sponsorships
- Specific grant proposals
- Continuing capital campaign to pay for building repairs and exhibition re-imagining
Marketing and Communications
- Implementation of a communications plan of paid and free media (print and radio advertising, direct mail, Web site/blog, social media and public relations) reaching a diverse audience including the local community, local visitors, tourists, donors and others
- Partner with other organizations in the community, such as Chamber of Commerce, tourism board and other not-for-profit organizations
- Oversee the development and management of the annual budget and operations plan and oversee annual year-end financial reporting in partnership with the Board Treasurer
- Provide Board with regular financial reporting.
- Control expenditures and ensure that budgeted financial objectives are met.
Salary range $40,000-$48,000 with competitive benefits, but will be commensurate with experience based on Board decision.
Please email your cover letter, resume, and professional references in Word or PDF format to email@example.com.
Please, no phone calls. Position is open until filled so candidates will be reviewed as they are received. The Boone County Historical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Education: The candidate should at a minimum hold a Bachelors degree. Candidates having experience suggesting special aptitude to lead an institution such as the BCHS, and/or candidates with a Masters degree in history, historic preservation, museum studies or a field directly relevant to the mission of the Society and the responsibilities of its Executive Director, are likely to be preferred.
- Experience: Relevant experience working with a board and leading a staff; minimum of three years of successful and progressively responsible, executive experience. Knowledge of and experience with historic preservation best practices, historic property management and/or not-for-profit institutions would be ideal. Experience writing an exhibition renovation request for proposals is preferred.
- Skills: Exceptional abilities in fundraising and community-building. Ability to inspire and work comfortably and effectively with a variety of people. Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously. Adept with computers, social media, and marketing.
- Demonstrated success building durable relationships with partners, donors, members, and constituencies.
- Personal characteristics: creativity, energy, and a passion for history.
- Boone, Iowa, 50036, United States
- January 13, 2016
- Executive Director
- Boone County Historical Society
- 3-5 Years
- $42,000.00 – $48,000.00 (Yearly Salary)