Business Officer – Hood Museum of Art
Dartmouth College seeks a Business Officer for the Hood Museum of Art, who will ensure the optimal use of museum resources through the development, management, and analysis of the Hood Museum of Art’s budget, strategic financial planning, accounting, human resources and administrative functions. The ideal candidate will be creative and strategic in identifying how to leverage resources to support the museum’s mission in a non-profit academic environment. This individual must be a team-oriented problem solver who collaborates well with colleagues.
The Business Officer is responsible for Fiscal Operations Management, Strategic Planning and Support, Human Resources Management and Financial Office Management. Qualified candidates will have a BA in accounting, business management or equivalent relevant experience and education. Masters preferred. This position requires a high level of competency in financial accounting with strategic, analytical and innovative thinking skills. Must have strong organizational and planning skills, and be able to set priorities, manage multiple responsibilities simultaneously, and consistently meet deadlines. Human Resource experience. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and attention to detail essential. Five years of experience with budget preparation, preferably in a non-profit environment. Experience working with budgets in excess of 2 million dollars.
Key accountabilities include but are not limited to:
Fiscal Operations Management
- Responsible for the museum’s daily fiscal management, including budgeting, accounting, monitoring, and reporting.
- In consultation with deputy director, director, and museum managers, prepares the museum’s capital and departmental budget in support of its stated goals.
- Manages operating, endowment, gift, and grant accounting to ensure the appropriate use of all funding available. Works with the Office of Endowment Accounting as needed.
- Verifies expenditures and manages budget variances as needed. Provides financial updates regularly to the museum’s leadership team.
- Works with the Provost’s Office on a quarterly basis and at year-end to ensure consistency of reporting for the museum.
- Prepares and participates in financial and administrative surveys as required.
- Works with the Provost’s Office and Finance Center to ensure accurate processing of payroll and payment transactions for the museum. Implements Dartmouth policies and procedures at the museum, providing training and ongoing resources to museum employees.
- Provides data and assistance for donor stewardship.
- Provides ad hoc reports as needed for the Board of Overseers or other special projects as needed or requested.
Strategic Planning and Support
- Makes strategic recommendations based on financial analysis and projections, cost identification, and allocation of resources and keeps the museum on budget.
- Advances the mission of the museum by ensuring the best use of the museum’s fiscal and operational resources.
- Recommends, develops, and implements finance policies across the museum and serves as a key advisor to the Deputy Director and Director.
- Strategizes with curators, registrars, and exhibitions staff to identify funding sources for acquisitions, collections care, and exhibitions and displays. Communicates with Dartmouth’s Controller’s Office on issues of collections auditing.
- Trains and supports museum staff in developing project budgets and monitoring costs.
- Provides administrative and financial advice and support on all departmental resources.
Human Resource Management
- Coordinates recruitment activities, and maintains records, for staff and professional positions, including consulting with department supervisors on recruitment procedures to ensure legal and Dartmouth compliance.
- Initiates payroll authorizations.
- Maintains liaison with Student Employment Office and the Finance Center on payroll matters.
- Reviews and approves bi-weekly employee payroll.
- Advises staff and supervisors regarding established personnel and payroll management policies and procedures.
- Coordinates the annual performance evaluation process for museum employees.
- Processes workers’ compensation forms and driver certification documents.
Financial Office Management
- Supervises the work of the Office Assistant and the daily activities of the museum’s administrative office. Manages special projects in the administrative area.
- Oversees the purchase and management of information technology, office equipment, and furnishings.
- Represents the museum to other Dartmouth offices, on committees as assigned, and to external peers.
- Responsible for records retention for the museum.
Dartmouth College offers a generous benefits package and a location where the quality of life and natural beauty is unsurpassed. If you are interested in this career opportunity please apply online at http://searchjobs.dartmouth.edu. Please refer to position #0081601.
Dartmouth College is an equal opportunity/ affirmative action employer with a strong commitment to diversity. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of people, including women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, veterans or any other legally protected group.
- Hanover, New Hampshire, 03755, United States
- January 14, 2016
- Business Officer Hood Museum of Art
- Dartmouth College
- 5-7 Years