Now celebrating its 35-Year Anniversary, the Bemis Center is seeking a seasoned, energetic Development Director to lead all fundraising initiatives to meet the organization’s financial goals and to advance its mission.
Position Title: Development Director
Company Name: Bemis Center for Contemporary Arts
Location: Omaha, Nebraska, 68102, United States
Job Function: Development/Fundraising/Membership
Job Type: Full-time
Entry Level: No
Job Duration: Indefinite
Min Education: BA/BS/Undergraduate
Min Experience: 4-6 years
Required Travel: 0-30%
As part of the senior leadership team, the Development Director will provide strategic vision and fundraising expertise to ensure long-term financial stability for Omaha’s premiere contemporary art organization. The Development Director is responsible for the design, implementation, and administration of all fundraising activities, including individual giving, foundation and corporate support, federal grants, and annual fundraising events, such as the Bemis’s fall Benefit Art Auction. The Development Director reports directly to the Executive Director, supervises a development associate and a freelance grant writer, and serves as the staff liaison to the Development Committee of the Bemis’s Board of Directors.
The Development Director leads all fundraising efforts of the Bemis Center. Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Develop and execute an annual fundraising plan to achieve the organization’s contributed and earned income targets;
- Oversee prospect research, and design and implement strategies to identify, cultivate, and solicit individual donors;
- Identify and facilitate solicitations from individual donors requiring the participation of the Executive Director and members of the Board of Directors;
- Oversee management of donor database to ensure accurate record keeping, regular correspondence with donors, and donor acknowledgment;
- Collaborate with Executive Director and programming staff to lead efforts to attract and retain individual donors through regular cultivation events;
- Research, identify, and solicit contributions from local and national foundations, corporations, and government agencies;
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with program officers at foundations, government agencies, and businesses;
- Supervise the strategies for and preparation of funding proposals to foundations and government agencies, and oversee the management of grant contracts, reporting, and acknowledgments;
- Oversee the execution and management of the Bemis’s annual membership program, including the successful execution of donor appeals, benefits, and recognition;
- Develop and implement a robust corporate partnership program, working closely with the Executive Director and Artistic Directors to identify and solicit contributions to directly support annual programs and general operations;
- Serve as the liaison between the Executive Director and the Board of Directors regarding all development activities, and oversee the creation and management of board materials and reports for meetings with the Executive Committee and Board of Directors;
- Working with the entire Bemis staff, lead the design and execution of the organization’s annual Benefit Art Auction, which normally includes artwork from over 250 artists and attracts over 700 attendees;
- Review and edit all development related external correspondence and website/social media content prior to dissemination;
- In coordination with the Executive Director and Operations Director, develop and manage annual budget for the development department, including negotiating contracts with related vendors.
- Successful candidates will have 4-6 years experience as a development professional, preferably in a small-to-medium-size arts organization or other non-profit cultural organization;
- S/he will also, at a minimum, hold a Bachelors degree in business management, finance, communications/public relations, or related field;
- Enthusiasm for and knowledge of contemporary art is desired;
- Demonstrated experience creating and implementing effective fundraising strategies for a non-profit cultural organization with a minimum annual operating budget of one million dollars;
- Proven ability to secure major contributions from individual donors, foundations, government agencies, and businesses;
- Demonstrated experience with database management and ability to organize and analyze data towards implementation of strategic objectives;
- Excellent verbal, analytical, and interpersonal skills a must;
- Flawless command of written language with editor’s attention to detail and the ability to craft compelling requests for support;
- Creative and strategic thinker with the capacity to take initiative and to work independently and as a team player in a fun, yet demanding arts organization;
- Excellent leadership and management skills, with the capacity to inspire staff and volunteers;
- The successful candidate will be comfortable in a crowd as well as one-on-one;
- It is understood the ideal candidate will understand and promote the Bemis Center’s mission in a clear, spirited manner;
- A successful background check is required.
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. Benefit package provided, including medical, paid holidays, and paid time off.
For immediate consideration, please submit a one-page cover letter, resume, and the contact information for three professional references to email@example.com with “Development Director” in the subject line.
The Bemis Center for Contemporary Arts is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Omaha, Nebraska, 68102, United States
- February 2, 2016
- DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR at Residency Arts Organization
- Bemis Center for Contemporary Arts
- 5-7 Years
- $0.00 – $0.00 (Yearly Salary)