Contemporary Department Assistant
Position Title: Contemporary Department Assistant
Reports To: Contemporary Programs and Residency Manager
Type of Position: Part-time; non-exempt/hourly
24 hours per week; some weekend days and Thursday evenings required
The Contemporary Department Assistant will work closely with the Contemporary Programs and Residency Manager and the Curator of Contemporary Art providing administrative support and assisting in special projects, research, and outreach. S/he will actively participate in organizing and implementing the department’s ambitious program of special exhibitions and public programs. In addition, the Contemporary Department Assistant will be responsible for assisting with duties directly related to the Artist-in-Residence program. This is an ideal opportunity to gain a comprehensive understanding of the inner working of museum operations, practical skills in arts administration, hands on experience with exhibition planning and installation, and to work with internationally recognized artists.
• Provide administrative support in day-to-day operations of the department. This may include attending museum operational and coordination meetings, database management, mail distribution, filing, research on artists and institutions.
• Build and maintain department annual activity binders and program press documentation.
• Assist with artists’ residencies including aiding the artist in research, accompanying the artist to events and programs around the city, and providing the artist with a general understanding of the area’s resources.
• Help prepare and maintain the two artist apartments.
• Help research and prepare materials for the museum’s website
• Conduct daily inspection of contemporary works and exhibitions and assist in necessary follow-up arrangements.
• Support the planning and execution of de-installation and installation of several temporary exhibitions and artist projects.
• Assist in the management of Contemporary and Artist-in-Residence programs such as Gardner Third Thursdays performances and Stir events, special public projects, and exhibition talks.
• Assist in Contemporary office move and artist apartment set-up.
We are seeking a dynamic individual who has a keen interest in contemporary art and working with artists and is familiar with the Boston art scene. S/he should be motivated, organized, efficient, with good communication skills, writing skills, and interpersonal skills. The Contemporary Department Assistant will work collaboratively to assist in the management of multiple projects and will need to perform in a fast-paced environment and will need to work somewhat independently with a minimum of instruction. Candidates should have studio art experience, some knowledge of music and social media, and should be proficient in Microsoft Office software and Photoshop. The position will require the ability to work flexible hours, including nights and weekends.
Join our dedicated, talented team of employees, interns and volunteers, who are passionate about the work they do to support the Museum’s mission. To apply for this position, please use the Museum’s online application system, this is our preferred application method: https://isgm.applicantpro.com/jobs/340499.html Both a cover letter and resume are required.
The Gardner Museum is committed to affording equal opportunities to qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disabilities, marital status or sexual orientation. Candidates of color are strongly encouraged to apply. The Museum is proud to embrace the goals of Commonwealth Compact (http://www.umb.edu/commonwealth_compact/about) and pledges to measure its progress toward those goals over time, using the Commonwealth Compact benchmarks.
We receive many resumes and kindly request that you do not call to inquire about the status of your application. Those candidates chosen for interviews will be contacted.
March 01, 2016