The Peabody Essex Museum, one of the most dynamic art museums in the nation, is seeking a highly talented Editor for our Education and Interpretation department. Under the direction of the Lead Interpretation Planner, the position will provide dedicated editorial capacity for museum exhibition interpretation, reinstallation, and other interpretive media including labels and interactives.
- build up PEM style guide for use by exhibition, education and interpretation publishing across multiple platforms;
- ensure suitability for different audiences through accessible voice, design, and visitor research;
- Ensure the strategic development of structured text hierarchies and associated appropriate style, tone and content for specific interpretive installations, exhibitions, and overall for the museum reinstallation project;
- prepare, rewrite, proof-read, and edit curatorial and interpretive copy;
- oversee production of labels and related educational and interpretive media;
- develop a strong working relationship with the education program teams, curatorial, exhibition planning, integrated media and marketing, exhibition and research, and design teams
The successful candidate is a graceful communicator, creative problem solver, and tactful diplomat that cultivates trust and engages the active support of constituents in a dynamic organization. S/he will also be a forward-thinking digital user.
A Bachelor’s degree is required.Three to five years of increasing responsibility in writing and/or editing in a creative or educational field is essential. Well-developed editorial skills, proofreading skills and exquisite attention to detail are also required. The ideal candidate will have a superb understanding of interpretive and visual design communication best practices as well as a proven track record of writing for different voices, tones, and audiences. Flexibility, positive attitude and the ability to work as a member of a team are essential. Basic computer skills are required.
Interested candidates should send their resumes with cover letters and salary requirements by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or apply to Human Resources, Peabody Essex Museum, East India Square, Salem, MA 01970-3783. PEM is committed to diversity among its employees and encourages qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
March 04, 2016