Manager for Creative Engagement
The Peabody Essex Museum, one of the most dynamic art museums in the nation, is seeking a highly talented Manager for Creative Engagement to join our Education and Interpretation department. Under the direction of the Deputy Chief of Education and Interpretation, the position will create and implement innovative and creative learning experiences for diverse museum audiences through a broad range of public program offerings, and manage a small team of Creative Engagement Producers.These offerings will be quality experiences that connect visitors to new ideas, experiences and opportunities for creative expression through a variety of formats, events and activities.
· leads the implementation of meaningful creative experiences for PEM communities, through dynamic gallery, studio, discussion, performance-based, and other interdisciplinary events;
· networks across a variety of creative disciplines and industries, to bring interesting collaborators into the PEM community.
· Advises on and hires specific technical expertise and associated contractual / union-related matters that may arise from working with a wide variety of artists and performers from a wide variety of creative disciplines.
· develops programs in collaboration with PEM Development designed around dialogue and exchange among patron or potential patron participants.
· Participates in the training and management of PEM volunteer Guides and oversees the management of the Gallery Experiences Guide Team.
· Advocates and support digital learning strategies in programming across PEM, including the Maker Lounge;
· contributes to assessment strategies and implements the distribution and collection of feedback and survey forms on a regular basis; maintain and track attendance and demographics data for reporting to museum staff and funders.
· Manages departmental program budgets and a staff of three.
The successful candidate will have an understanding of industry practices in arts management (e.g. working with theater and musician unions, contracts, IP issues) and be widely networked with creative practitioners, makers and organizations who can be brought in to collaborate with PEM.This individual will need to be a forward-thinking digital innovator with proven experience in embedding digital in their working processes and program implementation. S/he must demonstrate interest in the broad range of creative experiences possible for, and a commitment to, the diverse audiences and communities engaging with art, culture, creativity and ideas at PEM.
A Bachelor’s degree is required in a related field, Master’s Degree preferred.Five years of successful museum experience or relevant work in developing and managing creative programs and activities for cultural and/or creative institutions. Experience managing and developing staff is required. Must possess excellent organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple programs simultaneously.Superb interpersonal skills, flexibility, positive attitude and the ability to work as a member of and/or lead a team are essential.
Interested candidates should send their resumes with cover letters and salary requirements by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or apply to Human Resources, Peabody Essex Museum, East India Square, Salem, MA 01970-3783. PEM is committed to diversity among its employees and encourages qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
March 04, 2016