The Baltimore Museum of Art (BMA) is seeking a hands on, collaborative, and highly visible Director of Security. The ideal candidate will be responsible for the protection of the collection, staff and visitors of the BMA. The Director of Security will develop a highly responsive and service oriented team of security officers who create a safe, pleasant, and welcoming experience for all visitors and colleagues.
The Director of Security reports to the Deputy Director for Finance & Administration and interacts with staff at all levels of the museum, external stakeholders and the general public. This position is responsible for the direct supervision of a large, diverse, 24/7 security force operation with 4 direct report shift supervisors.
- Collaborates with museum colleagues to evaluate existing and introduce new safety and security policies and procedures; implements those policies and procedures as necessary to attain full compliance with Suggested Guidelines for Museum Security as adopted by the American Alliance of Museums.
- Recruits and supervises a team of more than 40 professional and service oriented Security Officers.
- Works closely with the Rental & Program Planning Manager and the Special Events & Donor Engagement Manager for Security staffing of all events, including those after operating hours.
- Ensures that officers are fully trained in all museum Security and Emergency/Evacuation procedures.
- Fosters an environment of continued learning and visitor engagement through collaboration with other departments including but not limited to Curatorial, Visitor Services and Education.
- Oversees the smooth operation of all electronic, computerized, integrated security/fire/cctv systems, and provides appropriate levels of training for staff.
- Prepares, maintains and evaluates the Security Department operating budget. Works closely with the Director of Human Resources and Director of Finance to ensure staffing budget remains on track during the fiscal year.
- Acts as liaison to Baltimore City Police and Fire Departments and Johns Hopkins University Security Department
- Works closely with the Director of Facilities & Engineering to report on observable building conditions and to maintain secure and safe building structure
- This position is on call and will respond to the museum as required or render guidance 24 hours/7 days a week/365 days a year. Incumbent will be expected to work regularly on weekends and additional hours as needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a Management or Security related field
- 8-10 years’ progressive management experience, preferably in a museum, historic property, cultural, or hospitality setting
- Proven record of managing a large, diverse operation
- Strong leadership, interpersonal, planning and organizational skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; training, presentation, negotiation, problem solving, and conflict resolution skills.
- Thorough working knowledge of integrated security / fire systems and related technology.
- Baltimore City residence highly desirable
- Skilled in the use of Microsoft Office: Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint; cloud-based timekeeping system
The BMA is an equal opportunity employer and a drug free workplace. We offer a competitive salary and a generous benefits package. For this exempt position we offer medical, dental, vision, prescription, 403b retirement plan, long term disability, flexible spending account, flexible and condensed scheduling, museum and restaurant discount, and reduced fee gym membership. We also offer 4 weeks of accrued vacation, 8 holidays, 3 personal days, 2 floating holidays, and 12 sick days per year.
Please send cover letter, resume and salary requirements via e-mail to HR@artbma.org with “Director of Security & your first and last name” in the subject line.
Incomplete application materials will not be accepted.
No phone calls, please.
- BALTIMORE, United States, 21218, United States
- February 8, 2016
- Director of Security
- Baltimore Museum of Art
- 7-10 Years