The Richard M. Ross Museum at Ohio Wesleyan University invites applications for the position of Museum Director.
The Director’s responsibilities include:
- organization, installation and supervision of all Ross Museum exhibitions during the academic year, plus additional exhibitions in two smaller venues: Gallery 2001 (in the university library) and the Mowry Alumni Center;
- coordination of lectures and other events involving visiting exhibitors and guest curators;
- curatorial responsibility for maintenance and growth of the Ross Museum Permanent Collection;
- enhancement of the Ross Art Museum endowment, in conjunction with the University’s Development office;
- application for external grants;
- teaching a course in Gallery Management or Museum Studies (students in the course assist with installation of exhibitions and museum events);
- leadership in marketing and distribution of information on exhibitions and related events;
- outreach to the local and regional arts community and the public.
Ohio Wesleyan University is an undergraduate liberal arts institution located in Delaware, Ohio, about 20 miles north of Columbus. The Richard M. Ross Museum, located in an extensively retrofitted post office, opened in 2002 and has become one of the premier exhibition spaces in central Ohio. The mission of the Ross Art Museum is to mount exhibitions that support and enhance the curriculum of the Fine Arts Department and the liberal arts teaching mission of the University. The Permanent Collection’s primary strength is in modern works on paper, including prints, drawings and photographs; additional holdings include the Terry LaNoue Collection of African Art. Exhibitions in the Ross Museum include the annual Senior Show by studio art (BFA/BA) majors in the Fine Arts Department and a biennial exhibition by the Fine Arts Department faculty. Additional exhibitions include individual and group shows by guest artists and thematic presentations of work from the Permanent Collection. Exhibitions organized by internal and external guest curators and shows of local historical material have also been presented. Gallery 2001 features predominantly regional artists; Mowry Center exhibitions spotlight alumni/ae artists.
In addition to the director, the Ross Museum staff includes a museum administrator, a museum assistant, a registrar/intern, and a technician. The Ross Museum offers 2,986 square feet of exhibition space arranged in four galleries, plus offices and preparatory and storage spaces.
- M.A. degree or equivalent in art history, museum studies, curatorial studies or related field;
- 1-3 years experience as director of similar museum or as assistant director of a larger facility;
- familiarity with professional museum standards and procedures as they pertain to exhibitions, collection care, registration and security;
- teaching experience in Gallery Management, Museum Studies or comparable course.
- 3-5 years experience as director of a similar museum;
- Ph.D. in art history, M.F.A. in studio or related field, with expertise in modern and/or contemporary art;
- curatorial expertise with works on paper;
- ability to work well with others;
- willingness to assume additional job duties as needed;
- record of successful funding procurement and grant activity.
Ohio Wesleyan University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer strongly and actively committed to diversity within its community. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
- Delaware, Ohio, 43015, United States
- February 12, 2016
- Director, Ross Art Museum
- Ohio Wesleyan University
- Master’s Degree
- 3-5 Years