This position is responsible for designing dynamic and engaging installations for special exhibitions and for the permanent collection. Working collaboratively with cross-departmental teams, develops environments and elements that meet the DIA’s visitor-centered approach and design standards, with both creativity and practicality.
- Designs exhibition and installations from conceptualization to completion, working collaboratively with curatorial, interpretation, collections care, graphic design and others.
- Responsible for all design and construction drawings, specifications and documentation for fabrication.
- Develops, monitors, and meets schedules and budgets, in collaboration with Exhibitions staff and others.
- Oversees, coordinates, and communicates implementation and construction processes, including bidding and contract negotiations as required.
- Ensures cohesive design standards and criteria for museum presentation.
- Maintains design and materials information, inventory lists, and project archives.
- Aids in other museum design projects as requested.
- Bachelor’s degree in Architecture, Design, or Exhibition Design, or other relevant design discipline required; post graduate work preferred.
- 5+ years of design experience required.
- Experience in a museum environment, preferably Fine Art.
- Knowledge of best practices in exhibition design. Working knowledge of standard construction techniques, museum casework design, and lighting.
- Demonstrated success with project management and budgeting.
- Advanced proficiency with computer-aided design programs AutoCAD and/or Revit; knowledge of modeling software (Rhino, Sketch Up, etc.) and Adobe Design Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.).
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and teamwork skills.
- Superior organizational and time management skills.
- Knowledge of MS Office required; knowledge of TMS and SharePoint a plus.
- A combination of related training, education and/or experience will be accepted.
- Detroit, Michigan, 48202, United States
- February 23, 2016
- Exhibition Designer
- Detroit Institute of Arts
- 5-7 Years