The Director of Communications manages all aspects of museum’s communications program and is responsible for maintaining the artistic and intellectual integrity of communications efforts as well as promoting the values and aesthetic of the Menil Collection.
- Develop and implement an integrated strategic communications plan that will broaden awareness of the Menil’s exhibitions, public programs, and collection. The plan should also recommend ways to measure success in achieving strategic communications goals.
- Work in concert with Menil leadership team in developing a comprehensive communications plan, developing a uniform message across platforms, including Menil website, print publications and newsletters, membership/donor materials, and exhibition and public program announcements.
- Work with Menil’s Director and designated staff to provide editorial direction and graphic continuity to the Menil brand ensuring consistency and a uniform voice for all communication materials, both digitally and in print.
- Manage relationships with and evaluation of consultants and contractors in areas that include public relations, marketing/advertising, design, and photography.
- Coordinate efforts to raise awareness of the Menil through social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Proactively build relationships with top-tier reporters and editors locally, nationally, and internationally and successfully position the museum with media to achieve high-impact placements.
- Identify new media outlets for the purpose of publicizing the Menil, including websites, periodicals, television, and radio.
- Serve as spokesperson and lead point person in media interaction that help promote or which impact the Menil.
- Plan and manage Menil marketing and advertising strategies.
- Support institutional advancement efforts including strategies to increase attendance and membership numbers.
- Lead communications efforts in reputational and emergency management by developing public statements, including those concerning Menil policy, positions on news or events affecting the Menil, exhibitions, and artists represented at the Menil, and other relevant issues.
- Work with Director of Advancement and other staff members to recognize communications opportunities and solutions; define and execute appropriate strategies to support them.
- Manage the development of all external and internal communications materials including, but not limited to press releases, press kits, exhibition calendars, and other informational materials (brochures, media advisories, PSAs) as needed for exhibitions and programs to alert media and the community of Menil activities.
- Plan and manage content of the museum’s website, web text, e-news, and social media on Facebook, Twitter, and other platforms and applications.
- Oversee the day-to-day activities of the communications office including budgeting, planning, and staff development.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, liberal arts, or related field is required; an advanced degree is preferred.
- 10 years’ experience in marketing and communications, preferably in nonprofit sector; previous museum experience highly beneficial.
- Outstanding written skills including the ability to write about the fine arts, museum programs, and community impact.
- Creative, entrepreneurial thinker with ability to develop innovative approaches and strategies.
- Computer literate, internet savvy, and experience with MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint preferred; speed and accuracy are essential. Social media proficiency.
- Demonstrated experience in creating and executing a comprehensive strategic communications program.
- The stature, gravitas, and confidence to gain the credibility with and respect of a high-performing Board of Trustees.
- Well-developed leadership skills.
- Ability to commit such time as necessary to complete all assigned responsibilities, including some evening and weekend work.
- Houston, Texas, 77006, United States
- February 29, 2016
- Director of Communications
- The Menil Collection
- Public Relations/Marketing
- 7-10 Years