The Museum Director position is responsible for collecting and preserving important historic and contemporary art and exhibits at all Forest Lawn locations. In addition, this position oversees collections and conservation programs for related artworks, their administration and tracking.
- Assists in developing strategies and initiatives to fulfill the Museum’s mission, increase attendance, and ensure the growth and recognition of Forest Lawn art collections.
- Manages Forest Lawn’s art collections: Ensures inventory is complete and up-to-date in the company database.
- Understands and executes accession numbering system, as it relates to invoices and provenance, ownership trail, and exhibition history.
- Monitors proper storage.
- Advises on the acquisition of new works or objects.
- Researches new technologies and software products.
- Manages collection’s records through the maintenance of internal database to facilitate artwork tracking.
- Represents Forest Lawn by being a visible spokesperson and ambassador for art collections.
- Plans and implements acquisitions.
- Researches displays and public service activities for Forest Lawn’s art collections.
- Works with guest curators and Forest Lawn staff on setting and organizing permanent and temporary exhibits.
- Coordinates reception activities and oversees the care, display and layout of exhibits.
- Coordinates activities concerning instruction, acquisition, exhibiting, safekeeping, and research of Forest Lawn art collections.
- Readily available for meetings with senior management to discuss artwork, statuary, and other art/museum related items.
- Member of the Art Committee, which is responsible for developing, recommending, and implementing standards for all the artwork at Forest Lawn.
- Works with Marketing on the development of public outreach, press releases, and collateral materials.
- Participates in content development for group tours, brochures, and educational materials.
- Assists with guided tours to schools, art groups, and special visitors as requested.
- Answers correspondence and inquiries from visitors, students, and other museums.
- Complies and enforces internal rules and regulations to ensure legal status and corporate reputation.
- Initiates and manages artwork loan agreements.
- Ensures all Forest Lawn artwork has proper security, temperature/humidity controls, lighting and other needs to create spaces that will host relevant, intelligent, and interactive exhibits while maintaining the highest of museum standards.
- Establishes and maintains collaborative working relationship with other Museums and institutions to exchange information concerning operations and to plan, coordinate, and consolidate community service and education programs.
- Provides training and direction to Museum store staff on project assignments to ensure effective use of resources. Becomes available for questions and clarifications.
- Bachelor’s degree in Art History, Art Conservation, Museum Management, Art Education or a related field and a combination of experience.
- Master’s degree (M.A.) preferred.
- Five years of experience of Art Museum, building permanent collections, developing exhibition, collections, and educational activities and programs.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong computer literacy and experience with museum collection database software.
- Proven ability to organize information, including experience in managing artwork collections, loan agreements and budgets.
- Must have the ability to establish productive working relationships with other Forest Lawn staff to ensure day-to-day operations are well orchestrated and professionally executed
- Broad knowledge of the arts and commitment to museum best practices.
- Knowledge of the museum world and key players locally and the ability to capitalize on those relationships for loans and exhibitions.
- Valid California Driver’s License
We Offer an Outstanding Compensation and Benefits Package, Which Includes:
- Medical and Dental Insurance
- Free Life Insurance and Long Term Disability
- Voluntary Vision Insurance
- Supplemental Life Insurance
- Cash Balance Retirement Plan
- 401k plan with company match
- Paid Vacation
- Paid Absence Plan
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
To apply you can visit our website at: http://forestlawn.com/careers/
Or email Ruth Mejia at firstname.lastname@example.org or Call our Human Resources Office at 323 340 4531.
- 1712 S Glendale Ave Burbank, California, 91205, United States
- March 7, 2016
- Museum Director
- Forest Lawn
- Master’s Degree
- 3-5 Years