This position provides chief administrative and operations oversight for the Academy Museum of Motion Pictures. It is one of the key senior leadership positions at the museum and reports to the Director of the Academy Museum. Chief responsibilities include oversight and management of the museum’s budget and finance, security, facilities, visitor services, community relations, theater and retail management operations, IT, human resources, marketing, special events, and administration for the museum. The position serves as a liaison with senior managers in security, finance, IT, human resources, marketing, administration, and theater operations at the Academy as well as with the community, other local museums, and with LACMA on all building, grounds, and contractual issues. The position will help assess staff and consultant/vendor needs for the departments under his/her supervision and will hire managerial staff and external vendors as appropriate. The position will also serve as a core member of the museum team overseeing the construction of the facility and establishing operating procedures and processes for the museum.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervision of museum’s finance and administrative staff as well as facilities, security, visitor services, community relations, human resources, IT, theater operations, retail operations, marketing, and special events for the museum
- Serves as primary museum liaison with the Academy on financial, administrative, security, IT, marketing, theater, and human resources issues
- Determines staff needs through opening and beyond and hire managerial staff for departments.
- Helps determine and manages contracting and serves as primary liaison for Museum vendors (food and beverage, retail, security, maintenance, etc.) as needed
- Serves as primary liaison with LACMA on all building, grounds, and contractual issues
- Develops and manages of the overall Academy Museum budget (including expenditures and income), working in consultation with the Director of the Museum, Managing Director, Creative Content and Programming, and other museum staff as well as finance staff at the Academy
- Serves as chief procurement officer for the Museum, reviewing and approving procurement paperwork for goods and services and ensuring maintenance contracts are in place and updated as needed
- Provides personnel management and administrative support to staff and managers and provides advice and guidance for current and out-year staff planning. Calculates payroll projections including base pay, overtime, merit increases, awards, etc. based on staffing plans, cost-of-living increases, etc.
- Coordinates Academy Museum’s disaster planning; produces and maintains disaster plan and notifications lists. Schedules and runs fire and other safety drills, as required
- Prepares cost projections, space needs and logistics for establishing and maintaining museum office and off-site office spaces and other storage space needs, as required. Handles furniture and office equipment selection and procurement, in consultation with Museum and Academy staff as needed.
- Coordinates Academy Museum IT equipment and budget needs with Academy IT staff
- A Bachelor’s degree along with a minimum of five years’ professional experience in museum administration and management of multiple departments within the organization, especially in relation to administration and budget formulation and management, facilities, security, visitor services, and human resource
- Experience with large-scale building design, development, construction and project management processes and procedures
- Experience hiring and managing a diverse staff of professionals
- Experience helping to set institutional priorities for a museum or arts organization and bringing together staff teams to implement priorities
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate with a diverse range of constituents
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Experience negotiating and managing vendor contracts
- Experience helping to make office space projections and allocations and managing office space/furniture needs
- Los Angeles, California, 90036, United States
- March 8, 2016
- Managing Director, Administration and Operations
- Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Science
- Chief Operating Officer
- 5-7 Years