Yale University offers exciting opportunities for achievement and growth in New Haven, Connecticut. Conveniently located between Boston and New York, New Haven is the creative capital of Connecticut with cultural resources that include three major museums, a critically-acclaimed repertory theater, state-of-the-art concert hall, and world-renowned schools of Architecture, Art, Drama, and Music.
General Purpose: Reporting to the Nolen Curator of Education and Academic Affairs, the Bradley Associate Curator of Academic Affairs actively leads the educational efforts to position the Yale University Art Gallery as a diverse and vital center for learning. Supporting the use of museum collections for teaching with objects across the Yale curriculum, this position is responsible for developing and implementing a strategic plan for outreach to Yale partners and effectively and bringing to fruition multiple academic programs. The Bradley Associate Curator creates professional development opportunities that prepare faculty to teach with the collection. This position collaborates with Education and Programs department colleagues and mentors and supervises the Lewis B. and Dorothy Cullman-Joan Whitney Payson Fellow, a future museum professional, training in the field of academic program development and coordination. As a creative and strategic thinker and problem solver, with a comprehensive knowledge of art, history, or related discipline in one or more of the galleries collection areas, this position conceives, implements, and oversees Yale collaborations in the galleries and object study classrooms with faculty and relevant Gallery staff.
Review of applications will begin on May 2, 2016.
Required Education and Experience: Master’s Degree in Arts, Art History, Education or related field and five years of professional museum experience in the areas of education or curatorial or an equivalent education and experience. Comprehensive knowledge related to one or more of the gallery’s collection areas required.
- Thorough knowledge of art history; comprehensive knowledge related to one or more of the gallery’s collection areas. Knowledge of cultural, social, political and literary history strongly preferred. Ability to solve problems, exercise discretion and independent judgment.
- Ability to establish and maintain collaborative and effective relationships with; internal team, internal and external University collaborators, and diverse museum audiences in a rapidly changing environment. Demonstrated enthusiasm for active engagement of faculty and students with collections.
- Excellent teaching skills at university level with an emphasis on object-based and interactive approaches. Ability to teach cross-disciplinary studies across collection areas. Well-developed written/oral communication skills with the ability to communicate in a professional manner.
- Proven ability to work well under pressure, juggle multiple tasks/meet demanding deadlines. Demonstrated professionalism and flexibility in busy multi-task environment. Ability to conceptualize steps involved in implementing programs and events. Knowledge of systems of assessment and evaluation.
- Strong commitment and ability to provide outreach at all levels with well-developed interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work positively and collegially with staff, researchers, and colleagues. Strategic thinking toward Gallery’s long-range academic program and University profile.
- Preferred: Academic outreach in a university museum context. Ability and achievement in managing staff in an active and diverse environment. Demonstrated problem solving skills. Interest in the cross-over between the arts and sciences. TMS skills.
Application: For more information and immediate consideration, please apply online at www.yale.edu/jobs – the STARS req ID for this position is 36549BR. Please be sure to reference this website when applying for this position.
We invite you to discover the excitement, diversity, rewards and excellence of a career at Yale University. One of the country’s great workplaces, Yale University offers exciting opportunities for meaningful accomplishment and true growth. Our benefits package is among the best anywhere, with a wide variety of insurance choices, liberal paid time off, fantastic family and educational benefits, a variety of retirement benefits, extensive recreational facilities, and much more.
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression.
- New Haven, United States, 06511, United States
- March 30, 2016
- Bradley Associate Curator
- Yale University
- Master’s Degree
- 5-7 Years