Missouri State Park – Missouri State Museum
The mission of the Missouri Department of Natural Resources is to protect our air, land and water; preserve our unique natural and historic places; and provide recreational and learning opportunities for everyone. The Missouri Department of Natural Resources is composed of 4 divisions: Division of Environmental Quality, Missouri State Parks, Missouri Geological Survey and Division of Administrative Support.
The working title for this position is Curator of Exhibitions. The position is located at the State Museum in Jefferson City, MO which is managed by the Missouri State Parks, Resource Management and Interpretation Program. Specific job duties include:
• Conduct original research for content, develop concepts and interactive elements, conduct audience evaluation, design exhibit and graphic elements, prepare objects and images, and construct and install exhibits
• Design visually dynamic, detailed and highly organized interpretive graphic materials using InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator for exhibition or publicity
• Work with the Assistant Director to develop and implement a cohesive vision and strategy for the exhibition of Missouri history
• Prepare exhibition budgets and expenses for all exhibitions, large and small
• Work closely with outside vendors for fabrication and installation of long term exhibitions
• Responsible for maintenance and upkeep of exhibition components, anticipating and identifying potential problems that may pose a risk to security, safety, fire and visitors accessibility
• Works as part of a team with the rest of the curatorial staff and interpretive staff during the exhibition development process
• Create or update materials for each exhibit for interpretive staff
• Collaborate with other staff in the creation of interpretive materials, publicity materials and public programs for a variety of audiences, which may be impromptu or requiring immediate attention
• Provide excellent customer service, promote the museum mission and vision in all activities, represent the museum both within and outside the building
• Participate actively and positively in group administrative problem solving, decision making and long term strategic planning
• Follow professional museum standards, conservation principles, and museum policies
• Help with grants proposals for select projects
For a general job description, visit http://oa.mo.gov/personnel/classification-specifications/1206.
A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a minimum of 15 earned credit hours in one or a combination of the following: Art History, History, Design, Graphic Arts, Paleontology, Archaeology, Anthropology, Museum Studies, or a closely related field; and,
One or more years of museum experience including any of the following: research and design of exhibits; preservation and restoration of artifacts; research, development, and presentation of educational or interpretive programs; museum administration; historical or archaeological research and preservation.
(24 earned graduate credit hours from an accredited college or university in the specified areas may substitute for the required experience.)
(Additional qualifying experience may substitute on a year-for-year basis for deficiencies in the required education at a rate of one year for 30 earned credit hours.)
Applicants must meet the qualifications for the Museum Curator job title as required by the State of Missouri Merit system. Please see the following link to view the job specification:
Applicants may view current job vacancies at https://MoCareers.mo.gov
Open Merit Registers can be viewed at https://meritregisters.mo.gov/
Should you wish to add your name to the merit registers for the classes listed above, please complete the EASE application at https://www.ease.mo.gov/Logon/RegisterOrLogon.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2f.
While these classes have been opened for recruitment, it doesn’t necessarily mean there is a corresponding vacancy. Please view the vacancy announcements at http://n-nr1ntra.ads.state.mo.us/das/hr/vacancy-announcements/default.html to determine classes that have a current vacancy.
For more information about Missouri State Parks, visit our website at www.mostateparks.com. To apply for this position, please visit www.ease.mo.gov and complete an application by April 7, 2016. Candidates may contact the Lisa Chastain at 573-522-90108 or firstname.lastname@example.org with questions about the application process.
All candidate information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
The Missouri Department of Natural Resources is an equal opportunity employer.
Museum Curator II
This is mid-level professional curatorial work in a state museum or historic site.
Manages and supervises museum collections, exhibits, and historic restorations or conservation efforts.
Plans, develops, and manages a curatorial program for a state museum or interpretive site such as a historic or natural history museum.
Plans and develops a specialized curatorial program for a state museum involving collection care, exhibits, research, and/or public educational programs.
Plans, designs, and develops exhibits for historic sites, parks, and visitor centers within the state parks system.
Supervises and assists staff with the design, fabrication, and maintenance of exhibits, or historic restoration using a variety of exhibition techniques.
Develops and implements an artifact and/or specimen management program designed to conserve and preserve the collection in a manner consistent with standard museum practices.
Plans, assigns, and supervises staff; participates in accessioning, cataloging, and preserving objects.
Prepares recommendations regarding work that requires professional contractors in the preservation and restoration of artifacts; inspects contract work to ensure quality.
Serves as consultant and evaluator regarding the utilization of professional exhibit design firms and contractors for the development of exhibits.
Researches and compiles historical and other technical data to determine the value and authenticity of artifacts.
Presents technical and historical information to the public and/or other professionals; prepares and presents interpretive information associated with exhibits.
Designs, develops, schedules, and installs art, history, and natural history exhibits which may involve preparing specialized exhibits or acquiring traveling exhibits; develops public programs to promote these exhibits.
Develops and presents promotional material for interpretive programs or special events presented by the museum or historic site.
Develops and maintains a security and storage system for art objects, artifacts, and natural history specimens.
Receives, records, catalogs, and accessions all collection articles in a manner consistent with standard museum practices.
Plans and develops public outreach programs that are consistent with the educational policy of the museum or historic site.
Serves as the collection, care, and/or exhibit resource person for other museums and historic sites.
Receives general administrative direction; work is reviewed for overall quality and effectiveness within established guidelines.
Performs other related work as assigned.
- Jefferson City, Missouri, 65101, United States
- March 29, 2016
- Curator of Exhibitions
- Missouri State Museum
- 3-5 Years