Title: Gallery Interpretation Specialist
Reports To: Gallery Interpretation Manager
Pay Type: Full-Time, Regular, Exempt, 35 hrs/week
Salary: Commensurate with Experience and Education
Benefits: Group Medical and Dental Insurance, Life and Long Term Disability Insurance, Pension Plan, Credit Union, Flexible Compensation Plan, Paid Time Off, Reserve Time Off, Holiday Pay, Museum Membership and Discounts
Work Schedule: Monday – Friday, 9am – 5pm
Work Location: Law Building, a non-smoking facility
The Gallery Interpretation Specialist works with the Gallery Interpretation Manager to play a critical role within the Department of Learning and Interpretation and the museum as a whole to enhance visitors’ experiences of learning and enjoyment in the permanent collection galleries and special exhibitions. Charged with the task of helping to make art at the MFAH accessible and engaging to the broadest possible audiences, the Gallery Interpretation Specialist is expected to participate in all aspects of the interpretive process, which includes, but is not limited to, the writing of interpretive plans, development of new interpretive tools and technologies, and the assessment of those tools.
- Works with the Gallery Interpretation Manager and a collaborative team of curators, educators, conservators, and other museum staff to identify and create content for in-gallery interpretation of the permanent collection, in text and audio/video formats.
- Assists the Gallery Interpretation Manager and a collaborative team across the museum in developing plans for in-gallery digital interpretation of the permanent collections.
- Works with the Gallery Interpretation Manager and staff in Exhibitions, Curatorial, Learning and Interpretation, and Design on interpretive materials for selected special exhibitions, including in-gallery texts, digital interpretation, and live dialog.
- Works with a collaborative team to develop new ways for docents and other educators to interpret art for visitors in the galleries.
- Assists with docent training.
- Brings expertise in an area of the collection to the department; offers teaching in the galleries as available.
- Keeps abreast of best practices in the field of museum interpretation, and represents the MFAH at regional and national conferences.
- Assists the Gallery Interpretation Manager with other initiatives, as needed.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- Must possess a comprehensive knowledge of the history of art as well as interpretive theory, museology, and evaluative practices
- Familiarity with modern and contemporary art desirable
- Demonstrated excellent writing, public speaking, and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills, follow-through, and attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills and willingness to work collaboratively across museum departments
- Willingness to innovate and experiment with new modes of interpretation and visitor engagement.
- Ability to develop effective work processes, and coordinate multiple projects.
- Familiarity with new and emerging technologies in interpretation is highly desirable.
Education and Experience:
- M.A. in art history or humanities required
- 2-3 years museum or related academic experience
- Proven experience working successfully in collaborative environments
How to Apply:
Send resume to Human Resources, Job 16-123EDU, P.O. Box 6826, Houston TX 77265-6826; Fax 713-639-7508 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Museum is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to a policy of nondiscrimination in employment without regard to race, creed, color, age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information, visit our website at http://mfah.org/about/careers/.
- Houston, Texas, 77000, United States
- March 31, 2016
- Gallery Interpretation Specialist
- Museum of Fine Arts, Houston
- Master’s Degree