Position: Executive Director
Employer: 3S Artspace
Location: Portsmouth, NH
About 3S Artspace:
3S Artspace is a 501c3 nonprofit alternative arts organization that combines the only midsize, multi-function events space of its kind in the area, a large, non-commercial gallery, and an affordable and approachable restaurant serving as a local hub, ideal as a gathering place for patrons and locals alike.
3S is dedicated to presenting and supporting bold, emerging art and entertainment and cultivating an informal space for the exchange of ideas and creativity. 3S has been years in the making, years of careful planning, collaboration and programming within our community. Founded in 2009, the idea sprang from the need to provide space for the kind of experiences that shape us all. We believe our values define us, and we value culture. Culture is a catalyst. It grows an economy. It fuels potential. Our permanent home at 319 Vaughan Street in downtown Portsmouth, NH is a place for curious minds of all ages and backgrounds to gather, explore, cultivate new perspectives and ideas and fall in love with the experiences of eating, seeing, hearing and making, all under one roof. For more information on 3S Artspace, please visit http://www.3sarts.org/.
3S Artspace is seeking a strategic and passionate leader who can help guide 3S staff and board through a period of growth and transition. This is an exciting opportunity to lead an emerging arts organization with three unique business lines: a gallery, a multi-function events space, and a full service restaurant. The Executive Director will oversee the annual operating budget of approximately $900,000 as well as a full time staff of three. The Executive Director will build on the recently closed $2.6M capital campaign and lead the organization with a focus on implementing and expanding the strategic vision of 3S Artspace. This is an ideal role for an entrepreneurial leader with a passion for the arts and community engagement. The Executive Director is a full time role located in Portsmouth, NH.
The Executive Director is responsible for the overall management of the organization, including program development, resource allocation, and business operations. The Director establishes clear goals and direction for the organization, inspires and leads a diverse team of professionals, advises and informs the board of directors, and champions the organization’s vision, goals, and values.
Specifically, s/he will drive 3S’s strategic operations and business development, including:
- Lead the strategic operation and administration of the organization;
- Serve as spokesperson for the organization and promote its mission, programs, and values. Establish and build strong cooperative relationships with community groups, donors, volunteers, clients, government officials, and the press;
- Ensure adequate funds from diverse, ongoing revenue streams to sustain and further the organization’s mission and programs. Spearhead fundraising efforts, including motivating staff, board, and volunteers to embrace and support fundraising goals and efforts;
- Build strong relationships with the Board of Directors and advise the board in governance best practices, responsibilities, board composition, risk management, finance, legal, and fundraising;
- Lead the development, implementation, and periodic assessment of a strategic plan including goals, objectives, and timelines;
- Direct staff, finance committee, and board in budget preparation, effectively manage resources within budget guidelines;
- Ensure the organization is compliant with relevant nonprofit regulations and is transparent and accurate in all its records and documents;
- Implement and maintain best practices for planning, programs, fundraising, finance, risk management, and HR;
- Stay current in developments and trends in the nonprofit sector and issues relevant to the mission and make recommendations as appropriate.
Skills & Additional Qualifications
- Minimum 7-12 years progressive experience in nonprofit management at a leadership level;
- A bachelor’s degree is required; preference for an advanced degree in a related field such as Master of Fine Arts, MBA, or Master of Public Administration;
- Dedication and commitment to the organization’s mission and values, experience with arts and/or cultural institution preferred but not required;
- Broad experience in planning, budgeting, managing, and working with a board of directors;
- Extensive experience in fundraising including planning, prospect development, donor stewardship, and grants;
- Demonstrated ability to build donor and community relationships;
- Experience in both the private and public sectors, in an entrepreneurial role, preferred;
- Solid knowledge of nonprofit accounting principles and financial procedures;
- Exceptional interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills, including public speaking; and
- Must be an innovative, strategic thinker with initiative and passion.
The Executive Director will be a focused, self-motivated individual who is deeply invested in the arts and committed to partnering closely with the Board and staff to develop and advance 3S’s strategic priorities. S/he will be a natural collaborator who will have the skills to be a leader within 3S as well as within the broader arts and culture community of New England.
The ideal candidate will have the following personal competencies and characteristics:
Relationship Building and Collaborating
The Executive Director will be skilled at building and sustaining excellent relationships at multiple levels with varied constituencies internally and externally. S/he will be a confident and articulate communicator with the ability to work fluidly across all levels. The Executive Director will have an inspirational approach to building collaboration and buy-in and generating support from all stakeholders. S/he will be a high-energy leader who can talk with all constituents and successfully convey 3S Artspace’s objectives. Collaborating closely with the staff, the Executive Director will implement a comprehensive and multi-faceted donor communication and stewardship strategy ensuring donor satisfaction. S/he will have a strong working relationship with key leaders and will be a proactive communicator at all times.
Strategic Business Operations
The Executive Director, working in partnership with the staff, will provide vision, leadership, strategic analysis, planning, and implementation for the fundraising and operations plan. S/he will set goals, oversee budgets, and manage staff for all categories of donors, including new institutional sources and renewals, annual fund, and other initiatives to reach individuals.
Leading Through Influence
The Executive Director will have a deep appreciation for the nuances of art community and philanthropy. S/he will possess strong interpersonal skills and be able to articulate and convey 3S Artspace’s priorities to a range of constituents. S/he will have humility and agility, and will be able to navigate 3S’s multiple priorities, knowing when to change direction and focus. S/he will have strength of character to work effectively with other strong leaders in positive partnership.
An Expert in Development
An experienced leader in the field of development, s/he will have demonstrated expertise with a wide range of fundraising channels with particular focus on major gifts. S/he will partner closely with the Board and staff to leverage relationships with current and prospective donors. S/he will flourish in a diverse community and be energized by the prospect of overseeing all aspects of development, implementing processes and best practices. S/he will have a strong data and analysis orientation and a proven ability to use metrics to drive development decisions and achieve strategic objectives.
Passion for the Mission
The Executive Director will have a deep appreciation for 3S’s work, the art community, and its commitment to art and education. S/he will embody and stay true to the values of 3S. S/he will serve as a catalyst and leader within the organization and will inspire and motivate others.
Koya Leadership Partners has been exclusively retained for this search. To express your interest in this role please submit your materials here. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
3S Artspace is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBT applicants.
About Koya Leadership Partners
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with nonprofits and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.