The New York State Education Department (NYSED) is seeking to fill the position of Senior Historian in the New York State Museum. The Senior Historian will be responsible for curatorial and research duties related to New York State and American Social History including but not limited to ethnic and immigrant history, African American history, urban history, women’s history, and religion. Under the direct supervision of the Chief Curator (History), duties of this position will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Perform active historical research;
- Curate and build collections relative to New York State and American social history;
- Work with exhibition planners, designers, educators, collections technicians, and administrators to plan and develop exhibits, media programs and publications;
- Build collaborative relationships Statewide among cultural, educational, and community groups to plan and develop professionally driven educational and public programs, exhibitions, publications and web sites;
- Identify and deliver project funding through competitive grants and other external sources;
- Promote improvements in educational institutions statewide; and
- Participate in the national, statewide, regional and local professional organizations.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: For provisional appointment candidates must possess a Master’s Degree in History, Public History, Art History, American Studies**, or Museum Studies**, and three years of professional experience in collections management and/or research OR a Ph.D. in History, Public History, Art History, or American Studies**.
**Including or supplemented with nine credit hours in history.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Special consideration will be given to candidates who possess the following qualifications:
- Doctorate in American History, Public History, or Art History.
- Two years full-time experience working with collections and public programs development in a collection based history institution (i.e. museum historical society, etc.) that curates object and artifacts.
- Demonstrate mastery of appropriate historical content through research and exhibition, public projects, and presentations at professional and/or public meetings, and/or content-driven public history projects.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a provisional appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits.
- Albany, New York, 12230, United States
- April 11, 2016
- Senior Historian/Curator
- New York State Museum
- Master’s Degree
- 3-5 Years
- $64,000.00 – $81,000.00 (Yearly Salary)
Leave a Reply