Position Summary: Reporting to and working in close collaboration with the Executive Director, the Director of Development will design and execute a comprehensive development strategy, including ongoing fundraising efforts, membership, and facilitate a capital campaign in conjunction with outside consultants. At this time, the Development department is a one-person shop.
- Design and execute a comprehensive development strategy.
- Working with consultants, coordinate capital campaign to build a new museum.
- Enhance and implement membership stewardship system.
- Enhance planned giving program by developing new ways to promote bequest support and stewarding donors in the Society’s planned giving program.
- Conduct research, prospecting, and grant applications to multiple donor sources including family foundations.
- Responsible for planning and implementing two major-donor annual membership events and other development events. Work closely with volunteers.
- Work with Capital Campaign and Development Committees to plan and execute their meetings and required follow-up activities.
- Provide other assistance as needed to help JHSGW fulfill its mission and advance its programs and activities.
- Other duties as assigned by Executive Director.
- Proven success in non-profit development, preferably in Washington, D.C. area.
- Experience facilitating major gifts and success fundraising from multiple donor channels.
- Experience in planning, leading, and managing development projects.
- Skilled in creating powerful, compelling written and oral communications for fundraising.
- Ability to convey complex ideas through well-written materials.
- Skilled in making oral presentations to the board and external audiences.
- Ability to work as part of a small but highly collaborative team in a fast-paced environment with multiple projects and deadlines.
- Familiarity with membership/donor databases.
- Occasional weekend and evening hours.
- Washington, Dist. Columbia, United States
- April 13, 2016
- Director of Development
- Jewish Historical Society of Greater Washington
- 3-5 Years
About Jewish Historical Society of Greater Washington
The Jewish Historical Society of Greater Washington is the region’s foremost destination and source for American Jewish history. JHSGW engages audiences through exhibitions, public programs, educational initiatives, and its 1876 synagogue — the oldest in the area. The current six-person staff works with a broad array of board members, community advisors, and consulting scholars to develop engaging historical exhibitions, public programs for youth and adults, and publications.
JHSGW is planning the move of the historic synagogue to a new site as part of a major real estate development project in downtown Washington, D.C. The new location will provide JHSGW with land on which to build an adjacent museum. Planning for this new facility has begun and is a major focus of all activities.
Leave a Reply