The Terra Foundation for American Art is dedicated to fostering exploration, understanding, and enjoyment of the visual arts of the United States for national and international audiences; we focus specifically on American art made before 1980. The Foundation supports and collaborates on innovative exhibitions and scholarly programs worldwide. Implicit in such activities is the belief that art has the potential both to distinguish cultures and to unite them.
The Foundation seeks a Program Associate to work with its responsive Exhibition and Academic grant programs, which award funding for exhibitions, curatorial travel and convenings, symposia, and teaching fellowships. This position reports to the Program Director for Exhibition and Academic Grants and supports administration of the grant portfolio as well as grantee relationships. The position is full time and nonexempt, and is located in the Foundation’s Chicago headquarters.
- Coordinate and contribute written materials to the timely preparation of the triannual grant docket, evaluation documents, and program communication materials, including a newsletter
- Serve as a program liaison for general inquiries, grantees, consultants, and other parties
- Maintain positive, client service-oriented relationships with a wide range of organizations and individuals
- Monitor grants for financial and program compliance
- Create and maintain grant files using GIFTS software
- Research relevant information for correspondence, reports, and meetings
- Participate in meetings involving program grants; as needed, track and implement action items
- Coordinate and schedule on-site and off-site meetings for both internal and external participants as needed
- Other duties and projects as assigned
- Master’s degree in art history with knowledge of pre-1980 American art, including pre-20th century
- Curatorial or exhibition-related experience in a museum setting (3+ years)
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational and administrative skills with excellent attention to detail
- Demonstrable commitment to high quality work and meeting deadlines
- Self-starter with ability to manage and prioritize own time, including multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to interact with others in a professional, courteous, and tactful manner
- Comfort working in a dynamic, fluid environment
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office software (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and willingness to learn how to work with other online databases
- Ability to travel occasionally and attend some after-hours events
- Flexible and able to work with grace under pressure
A competitive salary based on experience and an exceptional benefits package are available.
How to Apply
Applicants should send a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references combined as a single document in PDF format to HRDept@terraamericanart.org by end of day, Monday, MAY 9. Please indicate in the subject line, “EXHIBITION PROGRAM ASSOCIATE POSITION.” Please indicate where you saw the posting. See http://www.terraamericanart.org/ for more information on the Foundation.
No phone inquiries please.
The Terra Foundation for American Art is an equal employment opportunity employer.
- Chicago, Illinois, 60611, United States
- April 14, 2016
- Program Associate