FAM Collection Management Internship (Volunteer)
The Fitchburg Art Museum is seeking a Collection Management Intern for Summer 2016 (June 1- Aug. 30) to assist the Collection Manager in overseeing the care of a collection of over 4,000 works of art including sculpture, painting, prints/drawings, and photographs. This is an excellent opportunity to become acquainted with collections management, gain valuable experience in the museum field, and learn about the operations at a major regional museum with a growing collection of contemporary art, photography, African, and American art. This volunteer position is part-time (2 days a week) and reports to the Collection Manager, Francine Weiss, Ph.D.
· Assistance with museum-wide inventory of works of art
· Basic cataloguing of new works of art
· Creating and maintaining files for works of art
· Assistance with Art handling, movement, and storage
· Assistance with looking up records in the database
· Assistance with setting up and taking down works of art for Collections Meetings
· Taking inquiries from the public about the collection
· Other administrative tasks as needed
Who you are:
You have an interest in art and museums. You are enthusiastic and work easily with others. You are curious, eager to learn, and aren’t afraid to ask questions.
· Ability to work both under direction and independently
· Detail-oriented and willing to see the big picture
· Comfortable with learning and using new technology
· Comfortable working with art (and/or willing to learn how to handle valuable works of art)
· The ideal candidate is interested in museums, art and/or art history, or library science
· Must be currently enrolled, or a recent graduate, of a BA program (MA students and grads also welcome)
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, CV or resume, and the names and contact information for 2 references by email to Collection Manager Francine Weiss (firstname.lastname@example.org). The deadline for application is May 8, 2016.
May 08, 2016